Downpipes - seal/glue offset joints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First post so please be gentle!

I've just installed new pvc guttering on my house mostly be following tips and guidelines on this forum. There is one bit I'm sort of unsure of though, the offsets on the downpipes.

Having installed the (square) downpipes using offsets, the offset joints are not exactly tight. They are unlikely to fall out or anything but wonder if contraction/expansion will eventually make them leak.

My question is this, is it ok/advisable to glue the offsets to hold them firmly in place (or use a stretchy gutter sealant perhaps to take account of any contraction/expansion). I've read through the forum but am still unsure if glueing is a good idea or not.

Presumably the offset section does not suffer the same level of expansion/contraction as the main gutters but I see that other folks have suffered leaky offsets even though the installation appeared to go well - I'd like to prevent these problems before they happen.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Paul

Sponsored Links
NEVER use glue as it can sometimes be nigh on impossible to remove if you ever need to take it down,if it gets blocked for instance.Just use a litttle clear silicone. ;)

Cut a small section of down pipe and put that in the 112 offset first, then put the pipe in.Drill a small hole and and put a screw in,this will hold it al together.

Sponsored Links
Cut a small section of down pipe and put that in the 112 offset first, then put the pipe in.Drill a small hole and and put a screw in,this will hold it al together.

Yeah. A small screw will do the job, silicone will work for a bit..... but the screwing will sort it until you have new guttering!

Yeah. A small screw will do the job, silicone will work for a bit..... but the screwing will sort it until you have new guttering!
Screws in down pipe/off set bends???,silicone will suffice.

Ok then,use use silicone,but i know which job that i'd like to be dismantling at a later date.

Ok then,use use silicone,but i know which job that i'd like to be dismantling at a later date.
To remove at a later date will not be a problem,ive done it and all you need to do is twist it.Thats why i never use glue as ive tried to remove ones that are glued and its a bad head.A screw could easily be removed but its simpler to use silicone.Agreed if screwed it will not go any where and can be removed but its more effort for no gain imo,each to their own.We all do little things in different ways.As long as the finished job does what its supposed to do them there is not really a problem ;)

Glue them and fit a small plastic "baloon grating" in the downpipe in the gutter :idea: You gotta get a Plumber for a Proper Job ;)

Thing is,when you put a wire grating in all the leaves and stuff collect around it and block it up,then the gutter overflows.Now if that outlet is a long way up its going to be a problem,easyer to clear a gulley or hopper out lower down.

I have to amitt that i never used to use silicone or a screw on off sets,but i got fed up of them droping on my head while putting the up.

True , but they stopped putting gulleys @ the bottom of RWP`s when Victoria died ;) V.R. R .I. P. And a little baloon ( plastic one ) will stop a tennis ball rolling into the outlet and blocking it completely ;)

Thats what i was thinking,or were Travis selling me old stock for the last 30 odd yrs :D Nige your gunna have to leave this pipework to the roofers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back