Downstair Flooring and Likely Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've just bought a new house and are mentally preparing to do a few jobs starting with kitchen and bathroom.

The house was built in 1981. Just looking behind the kitchen unit plinth and I can see that there are two layers of ceramic floor files.

When I look in the cupboard under the stairs I see that there are linoleum floor tiles 12" x 12" and I have just read that the tiles are likely to contain asbestos.

• Can I get the linoleum tested to see if it contains asbestos? If yes where?
  • Is it likely I could remove 2 layers of tiles without disturbing the linoleum?
  • Am I best advised to get a professional in to remove them if they do contain asbestos or is it something I could do with the correct gear?
  • Anything else I should consider?
Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
The asbestos content of tiles was very small and afaik it was the safer type?
There may not be asbestos in them as I think those were more 50's and 60's

Chances are that lifting the ceramic will lift the old tiles. Doing it wet would help

Thanks for the reply. What you say seems to fit in with some of the stuff I've read.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back