Downstairs W.C. - Extractor Fan Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just purchased a new-build house with downstairs W.C. This room does have a window and a pre-completion snag inspection picked up that

The Building Regulations 2010 Part F, Item 5.5 state that:

“Extract ventilation to outside is required in each kitchen, utility room and bathroom

and for sanitary accommodation”

Therefore, an extract ventilation system should to be installed.

Now my developer is refusing to install an extractor fan, they wont give a reason why.

I just wanted some guidance on this, is it or is not building regulations to have an extractor fan? and are they within their rights to refuse to action ?

My brother lives in a similar house on the development and he has an extractor fan in his downstairs loo.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm not referring to the purchase. I'm referring to completion of the contracted works. The 'snagging list' must have been prepared against some kind of shedule of contracted works.

That aside, extract ventilation is the removal of air directly from a space to outside. It need not be mechanical. While a fan is obviously preferable, I'm not sure that a BCO/AI would insist upon it, so it comes down to a question as to why it was 'snagged', and what status this list carries.

Sponsored Links
Does the property have a separate whole house or passive ventilation system?

Then it probably does contravene b/regs and NHBC standards. I don't think that there are any type approvals or agreed details (ie exemptions) that allow for the omision of a toilet fan.

Ask the company for the NHBC standard if its an NHBC job

The regulation states that "There shall be adequate means of ventilation provided for people in the building", so assuming the windows are provided with trickle vents then I don't think this contravenes Building Regs. and I don't think NHBC provides any additional standard in respect of this item.

It is permissible to have no extract fan in a wc, as long as there is an openable window for ventilation.

It is permissible to have no extract fan in a wc, as long as there is an openable window for ventilation.

Doesn't the current amendment require minimum 6l/s mechanical extract whether there is an operable window or not?

No.

The purge ventilation provisions are adequate for WCs. While obviously desirable, 6l/s mech./passive extract is only required where there is no openable window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back