DP RCBOs

Sponsored Links
I stopped using Wylex when they had an MCB recall a good few years back, so I can't comment. I'm a Hager fan myself.

Wylex are Seimens these days.
Anyone used an RCBO-AFDD? Problems? Do they work?

I also stopped using Wylex after their recall, but have started again as the new SPSN compact RCBO's are very good, and type A as standard (they are switched neutral, rather than true double pole). Hager are only single pole and a fault on one cricuit can cause tripping of other RCBO's. Hager also had a MCB recall - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.o...2016/10/hager-minature-10ka-circuit-breakers/. Not used the AFDD's. Unfortunately Wylex are selling crappy DB's - fixed busbar and 1/2 din rail only, they are rubbish.

Sponsored Links
they switch the neutral and line but only the line is protected by the mcb, an overload on the neutral only, for example, (weird fault but not impossible) wont trip the breaker

so it's SPSN - single pole, switched neutral

Which is confusing as poles are normally found in switches, Too late to change it now.

SLOSDPS would have been less confusing Single Line Overload Sense Double Pole Switching

huh? SP and DP are standard designations for cpd's, not just switches. nobody is confused except you. SPSN is self evidently simpler than SLOSDPS

it's single pole, switched neutral, or SPSN, or SP+N, I didn't make it up, they've been called that for years, but hey this is diynot so probably the 'discussion' (drivel) will run to 10 pages

this is a double pole RCBO:
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/921327-16a-dp-2-module-6ka-type-c-30ma-rcbo

this is single pole with switched neutral rcbo:
https://hager.com/uk/products/h/adc806f-rcbo-1p+n-45ka-c-6a-30ma-ac

the new wylex ones also have idiot-proof terminals, easy din-rail clip release (when you're not using it with one of their crap half-din rail boards), no flying lead, and no need to disconnect for IR testing

Every RCD has to sense both Live and Neutral, if it didn't compare the current on the Live with the current on the Neutral then it could not detect Earth leakage faults.

the 'discussion' (drivel) will run to 10 pages

Because it is a DIY site it necessary to clarify terminology for new comers to electrical work,

nobody is confused except you.

those with experience ( and maybe qualifications ) in electrical matters other than installations do find some of the terminology used by installers and suppliers to be confusing and even ambiguous.

this is a double pole RCBO:

this is single pole with switched neutral rcbo:

What does a DP RCBO do that an SPSN doesn't?

Is it overcurrent protection on the N?

Which is not normally provided anyway.

Are both L & N switched out on the Wylex single slot in CU RCBOs (the ones they say are DP?)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back