DP Switch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondered if someone could clarify the following for me.

I want to replace the white sockets/switches in the kitchen with something more decorative. At the moment the cooker is connected to a 45A switch although checking the consumer unit it seems that it is a Moeller 32A MCB (PLS6-B32) that is protecting the circuit.

Having looked at the sockets I want to buy, the only listed 45A Cooker control units are those fugly DP main switch & 13A socket combined. There is also a flush mount 50A (with a bigger than normal faceplate) or a flush mount 32A which is of normal size (i.e. the same size as the one I hope to replace).

What I want to know is whether it is okay to replace the current flush mounted 45A faceplate with the 32A DP switch? Since the fuse in the consumer unit is 32A I hope it would be okay. Since I'm not an electrician I'm just a bit confused why the 45A is labelled "Cooker Control Unit" but there is no mention of anything to do with cookers on the 32A!

Sorry for such a basic question, but I'd appreciate a little clarification from those who know!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Yes that sounds ok. The rating of the switch shouldn't be less than the rating of the fuse/mcb, so a 32 amp switch is fine.

Out of interest, is this to go on a single or double flush box?

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Actually its a double box. It's a new house (well a couple of years old now). The configuration was a double box with a single box to the right. There are three single sockets/switches in this order.....45A cooker switch, switched fuse (on the double box) and standard 13A socket (on the single box). The switched fuse from memory is for the electric sparking thingie on the gas hob. The cooker switch obviously for the cooker and the 13A socket is a basic general purpose socket.

Looking just now, it looks like the 13A socket is fed from the wiring in the switched fuse.

Don't know if that changes your opinion?

Sponsored Links
Sparkwright, thanks a million. Didn't catch your reply quick enough last night and was hoping you might see it again.

I was reasonably sure it was okay but I much prefer a professional opinion like yours, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back