DPC company here I come...but first a couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had a couple of posts about the cause of damp on an internal party wall and plenty of helpful opinions but I think I finally have to admit defeat and accept that the it's plain old rising damp (whose existence seems to be an incendiary subject) and that I have to do business with those pesky damp companies that I've been warned off...

If you want to lose 10 minutes of your life the links are here otherwise disregard if it winds you up:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/damp-on-internal-party-wall.457785/page-2#post-3732171
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/i...just-a-plaster-base-coat.467775/#post-3740838

In short -1870s house, I've had it 25 years, it's been treated for damp before my time - there are new joists on hangers, sand and cement render on walls (throughout the house not just downstairs) and injection holes in some areas.

At the front of the house there were no airbricks in the void allowing for a flow through of air from front to back so I've now sorted that. It hasn't made a blind bit of difference so far but I guess it would take a while and it's the wrong time of year anyway.

I've got some of the floor up by the party wall and the mortar in the void is saturated. My damp meter shows the area below the hearth has a significantly lower reading so I'm assuming it's not caused by soil infill in the hearth. The earth against the wall in the void is damp so I've raked it back but can't see how it'll make much difference, I can't keep digging down. There are no leaking internal pipes, the Water Board have checked theirs so there's nothing left to investigate...

My neighbours dragged their heels on agreeing to me getting a chemical DPC treatment because of fears that it will head their way but have finally agreed. Ironically, their side must have already been treated because they don't have it where mine is worst!

Before I shell out thousands I tested a small area with SikaMur InjectoCream. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...ectoCream+Injectable+Damp+Proof+Course/p13512
The mortar was very crumbly and the texture hasn't changed any since so I don't know what to make of the effectiveness of it (or any other chemical for that matter). Any opinions? Should I try these Dry Rods? http://www.dryrods.com/

All the quoters have reserved the right to increase their price if it's difficult to remove the existing plaster and sand and cement render which I think will be the case. So I'd like to see if I can tackle it first so can you recommend any methods and tools - normal or SDS drill or Kango? Chisels or scutch combs? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back