dpc for concrete block workshop walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have two people building a workshop for me. They have dug in a foundation and built the walls to a single skin height of about 6 feet. I noticed there is no membrane between the blocks as it rises from its underground level upwards (Damp Proof Course?).

I asked them about it and they say the concrete block walls do not need one and have carried on. I am going to have tools and a mig welder in there and would like to be sure this is sound practice? I do know they have a membrane to install under the concrete slab.

If its not, how do I cope with damp problems? Pulling it down and restarting is not an option now.

As always, any knowledge appreciated. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Typically, slab construction has a membrane below the slab and a DPC in the walls.
Sometimes the membrane is taken up and serves as a DPC and membrane.

There are plentiful diagrams of slab construction on the web.

All masonry walls should have a damp-proof course incorporated at the base, usually around 6" above ground level.
These guys have not bothered to buy a roll and are fobbing you off.

Can you not get them to inject a chemical DPC, I have not done it myself as yet but need to do this on a building we are converting and it seems the best option.

Cliff

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
Thank you for the replies.

There definitely is no DPC in the wall build. They do have a huge roll of CPC waiting to go under the slab,, it has been here before the foundations were dug so I can't think of it being a fob off due to lack of materials.

I am definitely going to look at the cream based DPC, thank you. Also stumbled on an article about using a cementicious waterproofing compound which is trowelled or painted on the walls. I heard bad stuff about single skin concrete walls letting damp through from the rain, this stuff might help against it......but how the hell does the wall dry out if I stopped it breathing on one side?!?

You're trying to make the best of a bad job. The solution is that a masonry wall should have a dpc built into it about 150 above ground level.
Any other 'remedy' is a botch.

Absolutely. I noticed it too late and getting them to rip it down and start again is not going to happen.

I wouldnt have even noticed if it hadnt been for the knowledge I had gained in this forum in the last 6+ years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back