DPC Level check on final visit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I need some clarification on the DPC level and expose of engineering bricks. I have attached some photos for context.

I have had several calls with the private building inspector and he is keep repeating that he only wants to see two engineering bricks.

Showing two engineering bricks below the french door is fine but that will mean I will be showing 4 engineering bricks on the sides of the patio door. The bricklayer added 2 extra courses of engineering bricks on the side because of the slope in the garden. Is it really an issue when 4 engineering bricks are exposed instead of 2?

Internal floor level is 2 bricks above engineering bricks where the french door is but 4 bricks if you check from the sides of french door.

I would like to start the patio work and wanting to level the ground so it would be helpful to know. The inspector told me that if it is not done correctly when they visit then they will be charging £200 + VAT for an additional visit.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 10.28.14 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 10.28.14 (1).jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 81
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 10.28.14 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 10.28.14 (2).jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 89
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 10.28.14 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 10.28.14 (3).jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The eng bricks are above the DPC, not below it. The soil needs to be below the DPC, not just the eng bricks. Ideally 2 bricks below, it's unlikely they'll be happy with the soil at DPC level with or without the extra eng bricks.

You'll have to find out who's saying what, all sounds a bit weird to me.

Last edited:
Forget two above, two below, four courses or whatever. Ignore the the type of brick it's irrelevant.

The key items are DPC (or DPC level) and floor level.

Having said that, I can't make head nor tail of your post or the inspectors request. But just bear in mind DPC and floor level.

Where does the DPC sit? It would be usual for it to be about the level of your purple line.

If the Inspector is assuming that it sits on top of the eng bricks, then he probably thinks it’s too high.

As Woody says which bricks go where is irrelevant. DPC level, and ground level as per Ivor, are the important bits.

Sponsored Links
There may be some advantage of the extra 2 courses of eng bricks if it's a bit marginal. They will be less absorbent for splashback from rain landing on the ground. So could be a useful extra precaution.

If they want to see 2 bricks below the DPC then you'll need to dig out before their arrival. What you do with the levels after is up to you. Two bricks is ideal, but reality is often less ideal, if so those extra courses of shiny bricks could be a good thing.

But definitely find out exactly what they want first. They may be happy with the ground being only just below the DPC but a couple of courses on top, as a compromised workaround.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back