Draft coming from kitchen extractor pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently took the extractor hood and splashback down to replaced and noticed especially over the last few days thanks to storm eunice.

You can see straight outside (n) no wonder the kitchens always felt cold,and never seems to hold the heat.

IMG_20220220_132210.jpg

Any advice on what vent I should get for the outside wall? And do I need something inside the pipe that let's the air out but not in?

IMG_20220220_152322.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
cowl vent

it is shaped to throw off rain and deflect wind

it includes a one-way flap

will also keep out nesting birds

and pull out that horrible flexi and fit a rigid duct. modern extractors are usually 125mm (old ones were 100mm) If possible, provide a slight tilt so that any condensation runs outside. if it is a cavity wall, you can pack the hole with insulation. Loft mineral wool is fine.

modern cooker extractors and hoods commonly have the extract port on the top. You can fit an elbow.

cowl vent

it is shaped to throw off rain and deflect wind

it includes a one-way flap

will also keep out nesting birds

and pull out that horrible flexi and fit a rigid duct. modern extractors are usually 125mm (old ones were 100mm) If possible, provide a slight tilt so that any condensation runs outside. if it is a cavity wall, you can pack the hole with insulation. Loft mineral wool is fine.

modern cooker extractors and hoods commonly have the extract port on the top. You can fit an elbow.
Would expanding foam be ok to seal up between the pipe? Can't seem to buy a small bit of insulation

I wouldnt. It can hold water and make it impossible to move the pipi if you ever need to. Have a look in the loft. maybe you have some thin patches that could do with topping up and need an extra roll, or maybe you have some excess that could be trimmed off

buy the brands treated with Ecose (it will be on the packaging) which do not shed irritant dust and fibres.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt. It can hold water and make it impossible to move the pipi if you ever need to. Have a look in the loft. maybe you have some thin patches that could do with topping up and need an extra roll, or maybe you have some excess that could be trimmed off

buy the brands treated with Ecose (it will be on the packaging) which do not shed irritant dust and fibres.
What's the difference between the cowl vent and this? MANROSE FLAP VENT BROWN

Just thinking it would blend in with the outside wall a bit better more flush.

ae235 (2).jpeg

it flaps and rattles in the wind

until the little flaps break off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back