Draft Proofing Metal Windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some old metal windows (similar to Crittal windows), and I want to draft proof them.

The opening casements I think could be draft proofed. Initially I tried a draft excluding foam strip, but this has put a lot of pressure on the handles, some of which are now broken.

I contacted a company which suggested a silicone sealant solution, but one which allows them to open. Something about applying the sealant to one part of window, and some other lubricant (some kind of oil perhaps?) which prevents the silicone mastic from sticking to that side; then the windows are closed for several days, until the silicone is set.

However, I don't know which sealant or lubricant to buy. Or any of the details about installing them.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks.

P.S. Any other ideas on how I can draft proof metal windows would be very welcome!

Sponsored Links
I tried something similar with our old crittall windows - foam strip prevented them from closing properly but I think silicone will just stick to them and eventually deteriorate.

It may not be what you want to hear but is it time to replace with upvc?

Prices are much lower than you might think, and many local firms are geared to do these now the monopoly of the big names is (long) over.

Blup

Thanks. I would but planning permission won't allow it. So that's not an option.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back