draft proofing recessed down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have 6 tilting downlights in our kitchen extension. There is slanting tiled roof on top with just a membrane under it. The recessed lights are fixed in the flat ceiling . Now on a very windy day, the downlights start whistling and I can feel cold air coming down from them.

I have attached a rough diagram to depict the situation.

I was trying to find ways of stopping the draft.

Since the house has been recently decorated, the option of opening the plasterboards is not viable. Also accessing the space between the roof tiles and the lights is expensive as some one needs to remove the roof tiles, membrane and some how put it back.

Is there a way to prevent air from coming down from the down lights?

One option suggested was replacing the downlights with fire rated downlights as these are concealed and will not let air through (such as the one used in bathrooms)

The other was use one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norseal-Fire-Rated-Downlighter-Covers-x-8-/271481782612

I am not sure if any of these will help.. Would love to hear from any one who has had the situation and if there is a solution..

with regards
Tushar

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Well, planning the roof space would have been the proper approach.!
How did the roof get installed without the required amount of thermal insulation?

Anyways, I digress. The items you have highlighted are meant to be fire hoods, but they may help to reduce the draught, it can't hurt to try.

Really you should have something like these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...=adwords&kw=&gclid=CPLnuPaJsb4CFdShtAodogIAKA

But you'd need access from above..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back