Recessed downlights in restricted roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have electrician in installing recessed downlights. We have sloping ceilings upstairs, where we had intended to put a number of these lights, but upon inspection there is only a small space between ceiling and roof (similar to a flat roof I guess).

I am guessing this presents a fire hazard. Perhaps fire-rated lights or low voltage lights may be safer but I don't think there is enough space to fit the fire-rated, and since there is no casing around the low voltage I fear all the bits of debris in there might cause a problem.

Any advice please? :cry:

Sponsored Links
If there isn't sufficient space then they shouldn't be fitted.
Fire rated ones protect against the spread of fire - not much use for you anyway.
How about ceiling mounted spots?

Ah ok, that's pretty much what I thought, it was really more for the effect than the light. We can fit enough recessed downlights on the flat part of the ceiling but just really liked how it would look with a few on the slopes too. Guess you can't always have what you want in life!

One other question, where we are installing the other recessed downlights which do have roof space, we realise you cannot put insulation over the top, but we want to avoid heat loss through our ceiling. So, would it be ok to stand a length of pipe over each one (like a little chimney) to allow ventilation up through the surrounding insulation into the loft space?

Something to pack the insulation away from the luminaire is fine, provided of course the thing you opt to use is fire retardant!
Not sure what size pipe you are talking about so can't comment - you can get proper metal covers to go over them tho.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback :)

The pipe is just large enough to go around the recessed downlight without touching it. Is there a minimum distance a downlight should have around it?

The manufacturers instructions should state the clearence area required around the light fitting(s).

Your problem is that halogen downlights create a lot of heat and that has to go somewhere.

You could look at the 11watt GU10 low energy lamps. They run much much cooler.

So, would it be ok to stand a length of pipe over each one (like a little chimney) to allow ventilation up through the surrounding insulation into the loft space?
I wouldnt do that, the heat from the cozy room will get draw up through each of those little chimneys and will be replaced with cold air coming into the room.

Thanks for the feedback :) I've decided just to forget the idea of lights in slopes as I've already bulk bought all the downlights. I'll just rearrange my plan to fit more in the flat ceilings with roof space.

I've decided to make open topped boxes out of plasterboard to keep the loft insulation at bay, from around the light, that way I know it's safe :)

You can put plasterboard tops on those boxes and then put insulation over the top.
That will reduce your heat loss thru the ceiling.

Inverted Terracotta plant pots

Light Blue touch paper and run LOL

Ah right :) I was under the impression that the reason I couldn't put insulation over them was because the lights needed to be able to cool?

Yes they need to ventilate, so keep a min of 50mm space all around and 100mm above unless manufacturers say otherwise and keep the vent hole free. That might make it a big pot

After more than 3 years I expect that Emy has either come to his senses or has wrecked his ceiling and is part way to needing structural repairs to the roof itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back