Drain Easy Kit - Not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wanted to start replacing the old valves for TRVs on my radiators today.

I had everything ready, tools TRVs etc and was raring to go. However, I plug the necessary bits in the loft with my new Drayton Drain Easy things but I couldn't get the cold water feed sealed off properly. ie: it was allowing a trickle of water into the system.

When I take the plug out and feel arould the cold water feed hole, it isn't round but more like an hexagonal shape. Therefore I think the problem is that the plugs aren't sealing the angled corners.

Is there an alternative way of blocking this feed?

Thanks in advance for your suggections.

Sponsored Links
try a carrot!! I have those bungs and sometimes don't work on F & E tanks - white nylon expandle ones are good.

might do - pt it in and see - have you drained the rad 1st? what I do is then open the valve into a pot noodle carton/bucket if there is space and when the flow slows and then stops you know it's good to work on - any gurglign though and be quick!!

Sponsored Links
Just bunged the hoses after turning boiler off etc and then opened the bleed screw as per the destructions.

Just waiting to see if the trickles stops now as before the water just kept flowing out.

if i'm changing a rad valve on o/v system what I do is: bung the feed/vent

drain the rad (using drain kit and collar)
open rad valve to be changed and wait until flow stops
change valve

Hi there,

the parsnip worked!

I just bunged the system up, drained the rad and then changed the valve.

New TRV works a treat.

Thanks for the veg suggestion, who'd have thought it!

you can also use a carrot to remove the base of a lightbulb if the glass has broken. Just push it firmly into the base and twist (power off first of course)

the parsnip worked!

, who'd have thought it!
Well, you could have knocked me down with a Orbignya cohune :eek: ..............................................Tropical American * Feather * Palm :mrgreen:

Hi there,

now that I have all my TRV's installed, what temp setting should I use for the room thermostat in the hall (no trv on the hall rad) and as my boiler has 0 - 5 settings only, what should I put that too?

Cheers

and adjust the setting by not more than half a point a day if you find a particular room a bit too cold or a bit too warm. Leave it for a couple days before you alter it again.

Just wait - in a few hours a new post will appear: "HELP - CH PIPEWORK BLOCKED WITH VEGETABLE MATTER..."

you can also use a carrot to remove the base of a lightbulb if the glass has broken. Just push it firmly into the base and twist (power off first of course)
Ah... So it's true then what they say about carrots helping you see in the dark then?! ;)

Mathew

Just thought that I should mention the fact that, if the hall thermostat switches off when it reaches temperature this will switch off the pump and all other rediators would cease to work.

Why not fit a trv to the hall and just leave the bathroom rad without one?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back