Drain on Electric Power Supply

But also ridiculous yet entirely understandable for something not really regulated and chosen entirely on price. My phone can do far more on much less power..

Yeh really?

I'd like to see you run a wired network of 10 PC's, 2 servers, 2 back-up drives and 3 high speed internet services on your phone.:LOL:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You are wasting your time.
Well I was living in hope that eventually you would understand something so obvious and simple.

But if you are admitting that it will be forever beyond your abilities to understand then you really should stop posting about it.

OK - let me know if you ever become more intelligent, and I'll try to explain it again.

In the meantime you must stop posting about things you are unable to understand.

Sponsored Links
OK - let me know if you ever become more intelligent, and I'll try to explain it again.

In the meantime you must stop posting about things you are unable to understand.

BAS, you're the main man !:ROFLMAO: Do you own a mirror ? Take a long hard look ……..

DS

No need - I know what I look like, just as assuredly as I know that if you never use electricity unnecessarily you never incur any expense unnecessarily, and that if 100% of your use is necessary a monitor will not identify any unnecessary use.

I then systematically switched each outlet on to see what was being consumed and what I found astounded me.
A Microwave oven in Standby consumed 85 watts.
A Fridge in standby, with no compressor running and door shut (no light on was confirmed) consumed 60 watts.
An Upright freezer with no compressor running and door shut consumed 50 watts.
Internet Router 45 watts.
Complete and utter rubbish - except perhaps the freezer.
As has been pointed out, these clip on monitors do not, and cannot, measure energy or power. There are some more sophisticated ones which can, but they are easy to spot as they ALWAYS have a plug in element to measure voltage and to get a phase reference for power factor. I'm not sure I'd go along with BAS's suggestion of them being banned, but I;d sure support the banning of them being called anything that suggests they actually measure power/energy.

To put things in perspective, you can connect a large capacitor across the mains and your clip on meter will tell you that it's using "power". It isn't, it's passing current, but out of phase with the voltage such that it doesn't actually consume any power (or very little). The same applies with an inductor (coil) as you might find with a big transformer with no load attached to it.
I recall many years ago as an apprentice, observing as a supposedly qualified electrician was bench testing a panel for some lighting. It comprised a 4way DB, a contactor for remote switching, and large caps for power factor correction. The supposedly qualified electrician was completely unable to comprehend why the MCBs were tripping, and refused to accept the explanation of a mere apprentice :rolleyes:

The items you have mentioned are notable in that they will all have small switch mode power supplies. Unless well designed, these are notorious for having a very poor power factor - particularly when lightly loaded. Try them with something that actually measures power, you will find that they use a lot less than this so called energy monitor lies to you.
The freezer ? We have a frost free upright, and these have a defrost heater in the evaporator coil. The "cold" isn't transferred by anything in the storage compartment itself, but by fan circulation of air between the storage compartment and a separate compartment with the evaporator. Because the evaporator would freeze up, the controller (should) detect when it is doing so, then turn on an electric heater to defrost it and allow the water to run out - having the evaporator in a separate space means this can be done without thawing out the storage compartment. IIRC the heater in ours runs to around 125W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back