Drain problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help ?
I have seen some tree roots in a shared drain man hole. I was hoping that this may be cured by pruning local undergrowth then getting the drains relined.
Any thoughts if this is the right plan of action and what is the cost of relining a 3" drain ?

Sponsored Links
How old is the drain?, Salt glaze or plastic?, How deep is the drain?, How close are the trees? What length of drain do you think is involved?
Frank

How old is the drain?, Salt glaze or plastic?, How deep is the drain?, How close are the trees? What length of drain do you think is involved?
Frank
Hi Frank I would say the drain is probably 50 years old,
Not made of plastic,approx 1m deep,10 m long.
Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem in 1981, It was a buried manhole cover under a path with salt glaze piping (Victorian). The problem was caused by our garden hedge, about 3' away. I cleared all the roots out with drain rods, and (eventualy) did a proper job on the man hole (raised level to garden path level with new cover). I never had another problem until 2012 when I sold the house.
I would try drain rods, it might be that you have a proper broken drain and you have BIG roots growing through it. Inspection with a camera might be the way to go.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Frank's right an inspection of the drain would be best first step, there are different ways of fixing, best to find out first what were dealing with.
Not sure if you can hire these at any reasonable rates, using a professional is defeating this sites purpose.
Seam to remember Aldi recently had inspection cameras for sale, might be worth phoning your most local store and ask if they still have any...pinenot :)

Roots in the manhole doesn't mean the drain is affected. CCTV survey will determine, what, if any action needs to be taken, but sometimes getting rid of any nearby trees/bushes and cutting the roots out can be all that is needed.

10m drain at a 1m deep, worst case scenario sometimes just as easy to replace the drain, especially if Pitch Fibre pipes were used.

The OP said that it is a shared drain. Surly this now is the responsibility of the local Water Authority.

The OP said that it is a shared drain. Surly this now is the responsibility of the local Water Authority.

Beat me to it. Call the sewer authority. It's their problem.

Beat me to it. Call the sewer authority. It's their problem.
Thanks for all the comments, the offending manhole covers three drains 2 from other properties although the manhole is on my drive. Do you think that the water company will pay for any repairs even though the chamber is on my land ?

If the drain serves others then it's the Water Co's responsibility, regardless of where it is situated. Ask them to have a look, but I would doubt they'll be doing any more than they deem necessary unless there is a risk of blockage and/or flooding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back