Drain Valve not opening up ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm trying to drain down my CH system to fit a new radiator valve which was leaking around the gland nut.

I have a drain valve downstairs by a radiator, and have put a hose on it, as well as a tray underneath to catch any spillage, but the drain valve doesn't seem to undo ...

What can I do to free it? Any tips/help??

I've no other drain valves that I know of. The boiler doesn't have one near it, which I believe is better as it releases air quicker ?? Don't know if this is actually true though?

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't drain your system to repair a leaky rad valve gland nut, you don't need to,!!!

i tried re-packing it with ptfe tape but still a dribble, and the valve looks tatty anyway, so i want a new one!!

Hi all

I'm trying to drain down my CH system to fit a new radiator valve which was leaking around the gland nut.

Have you tried nipping up or repacking the gland nut first ? Might be all it needs.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the draincocks are soldered in with the rubber washer in place, thus welding it to the seat.

Buy yourself a replacement draincock and replace the inards.

Use a proper key or small spanner to undo it.

Thanks for the tip - will a new drain vale innards be standard size? or are there different types?

If I take the innards out, and the washer is stuck/welded on the seat, and i get it out, will the water shoot everywhere though? ....

I have been using grips to nundo the rad vale spindle, which was ok... what sort of key is good to buy to undo drain valves?

Just buy a pack of new drain off rubber washers.

Put some plastic sheets on the floor and poke out the old stuck rubber washer, with a bucket or tray under it.

Sometimes overtightening the drain cock can get the rubber washer to 'locate' on the spindle of the drain cock making it come out easily.

Thanks I will do that - I take it all drain off washers are similar in size and will fit most types!! :)

Am I likely to get wet though ......

One other point: what is the advantage of having a drain off near the boiler? is it to do with quicker re-filling due to air, etc?

tut tut namsag :evil: :evil: your pure evil today!!! this is a novice remember not an apprentice :LOL:

OP the draincock washer is more than likely a MT cock washer.
is the system sealed or vented ?

:eek: you'd let your apprentice do this in someones house!!!!! :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: wey hey !! tried it myself once (20years ago) trying to be clever everything was great UNTIL!! the washer wouldn't go on and the pump kicked in !! covering the entire bathroom in black sludge ! glad i was changing the whole room! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back