Drain water from pipe closed at end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pipe that goes from my house, outside, and into a washing machine in the garage. The pipe is insulated but has frozen in the past.
I though I would be smart and turn off the water from a valve in the house before the water goes outdoors. So I closed that valve and disconnected the washing machine, but of course I can't get the water out of the pipe due to the vacuum as the pipe is effectively sealed at the house end. The house end is approx 2m higher than the end by the washing machine.

How can I get the water out of the pipe?

If I leave the water in but the pipe open in the garage will it still burst the pipe if it freezes?

Please help, I want to avoid a burst pipe this year!

Sponsored Links
Leave Garage end open. It can freeze but won't burst the pipe . Or shove a tube far into the pipe and blow like mad !!

Thanks for your fast reply, I can sleep easier tonight!

just open the washing machine valve and disconnect the hose and put into a bucket, then crack the outlet nut on the isolating valve in the house and you will hear the air getting sucked in as the water runs out, once it stops tighten the nut back up, sorted and leave the garage end open

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian, I have just done that and got the water out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back