Drainage and soil regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm asking this on behalf of my neighbour who isn't very good with computers.

Anyways, my neighbour is currently building an extension (which is nearly finsihed).

at the time, the drainage plane was drawn up, and the pipe in question was a soil pipe.

further into the build it was discussed with the bulding controller that it would be easier to move the upstairs toilet, and therefore move the soil down pipe.

in the garden outside, a drainange gulley was still required and this was installed in the ground with the usual 150mm soil pipe.
However the downstairs kitchen sink joins into this pipe, but the toilet does not.

so the toilet down pipe was moved around th corner.

since this pipe near the kitchen is no longera toilet pipe, we beliv that it is no longer subjected to one of the building regs which states that an access trap is required for everytime the flow changes direction.

My neighbour swears blind that this was never mentioned at the time, and now that his final inspection was today, the building controller is complaining that there are no exptra traps.

I'm not sure if this is related but further down the pipe, the toilet joins into this drainage pipe and the is a manhole installed (complete with inspecton cover).

have downloaded the part H buildings regs, but I cannot find the part that talks about these extra traps.

Can anyone advise on this? or does anyone know where i can find this information?

Sponsored Links
Foul pipes can change direction if the bend is slow and there is rodding access from both ends towards the bend. Otherwise there must be cleaning access at the bend. It doesn't matter if it is a WC or a waste pipe - they are the same thing really.

Ahh, thanks,
In this case theres actually 2 bends.
However there is a gully on one end, and the opposite end (further downs stream) there is a man hole cover.

I'm not sure if the gulley would be considered as an access point?

The part in-between the two bends is a short run of 4 meters,

But I read somewhere online that after 3 meters there should be a rodding eye installed.

The problem here is that it will make the garden look terrible.

and due to the small differences of the 3 meter rule, I don't see how it will make much difference. Is there anyway we could argue this with the bulding controller?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back