Installing New Downstairs Cloakroom - Building Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to fit a new cloakroom into a room downstairs. It will be quite close to an existing sewer access point. I am considering using a toilet that has a small wash basin incorporated into the cistern lid. There will be an opening window in the room and I am aware that I need the electrics to be fitted by a part P approved electrician.

My questions are:

1) What are the regulations about height of fall of waste pipe from the toilet to ensure free flow of effluent?

2) The easily-accessible drainage point is where the waste water from the bathroom upstairs joins the underground drains. The soil pipe from the existing toilet joins the drains at a different point. Can I run the waste from the new toilet into the same outlet used for the waste water?

3) Is an additional door required to separate the cloakroom from the main room which is a kitchen-diner?

4) Are there any other considerations that I need to take into account, but have not mentioned?

Thank you.

James.

Sponsored Links
Hi James,

Did you get the answers to your questions. Would be grateful if you did as I am in the same boat as you are and have almost the same questions to ask.

Thanks

1. See Building Regulations Approved Documents G & H on Planning Portal
2. You should be able to, again there are diagram and guidance in the above Approved Documents
3. No, this is the one Building Regulation everyone seems to know and is one that was removed a long time ago.
4. See Approved Document F regarding mechanical extract ventilation, you should in theory fit one even though you have an openable window.

There may be an accessibility requirement too (Part M)..

Sponsored Links
I dont think part M compliance is required in this instance but it may be worth taking a look at as some of the regulations are just sensible in any event.

Vdsuza,

I have now finished the room and had it passed by the building inspectors.

I did the wiring myself in the end, putting the light and macerator onto fused spurs. There was no need for the wiring to comply with part P regulations, which I feared, or to use a registered electrician.

I fitted a Screwfix macerator, following their directions for the fall of the pipe, and connected it into the drain union shared by the waste pipe from the upstairs bath, the washing machine and kitchen sink. Again, the inspectors were happy with this.

There is an opening window in the room. No additional ventilation was required.

The door opens into a living area which is immediately adjecent to the kitchen. Again, no concerns were expressed.

I was asked cursory questions about the sizes of timber used and spacing of the noggins, but nothing more.

The two areas that seemed to cause most concern and receive most attention were the fall on the waste pipe and the ventilation. The arrangemets above were satisfactory for the inspector and a compliance certificate has been issued.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

James.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back