drains for new toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone advise please? The 4" underground drain from my toilet soil pipe runs into a 6" communal main sewer pipe. All pipes are plastic. I want to build a small extention housing a downstairs toilet. Can I break into the existing 4" drain by fitting a "Y" piece in order to join together or must the new pipe from the proposed toilet also go into the 6" main? Also, is there a need for an inspection chamber above the joint which would be approx 1 metre below ground level. And finally, does the new toilet connection need a vent ? hope there is someone out there that can advise. many thanks kevin

Sponsored Links
You can tap into an existing pipe run but you will need a new Inspection Chamber. A vent is only normally required at the end of the drain run or the furthest toilet from the ground.

You can do exactly as Freddy Merc has said, or providing you have 6m run, or less of new drain for proposed single appliance or 12m run or less for group of appliances, you can cut a Y junction into existing 100mm run and a stub stack in toilet capped off with an access fitting.
This way you can also drop a waste for wash hand basin into stub, if required. Your existing soil pope should already be vented to air.
oldun

many thanks for this info but what is a stub stack capped off with access fitting please. is it a rodding eye? I do need to put basin waste into something. is this it?

Sponsored Links
Do mot know how to post links etc, so google stub stack system, click Brett Martin, top of page, will show you sketch of stub stack.
Stub stack is short length of soil pipe fitted to swept bend at top of 100mm drain connection. Stub is fitted into corner or alongside WC and is approx 900mm high. Fitted into stub stack is 87.5 degree single branch. Pan is P trap with either left or right hand 87.5 degree bend for connection to branch. You can fit boss into stub for wash hand basin. Either screw on access cap at top or air remittance valve if required. If blockage occurs rod down stub stack from top. Stud and plasterboard stub with removable top if required.
Hope you understand.
oldun ;)

Yes I understand now, I followed your guide to Brett Martin. many thanks for everyones help on this matter - cheers kevinm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back