Drainage hatch versus hole size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've got an old drain hatch that I'm replacing as it was completely corroded. Unfortunately the original one was seemingly a non-standard size and I've not been able to identify an exact replacement. It's not far off the standard 60x45cm size and I wanted to get some opinions on whether putting one of that size in is a good idea or not.

The photo shows the size of the hole and the brick chamber underneath. On the right you can see where the bricks have been all smashed up adding in the entry for a drainpipe at some point, I'm assuming I can build that back up with a thicker layer of mortar when I put the frame in.

The interior size of the brick chamber is 47x61cm, largest possible size with the current opening I've cut out is 55x68cm, and the cut out is about 4cm deep.

Would a 60x45 interior opening hatch have a frame that is wide and stiff enough to work on this opening, and if not can anyone suggest what I need to do, please?

This is in an outbuilding and will get occasional foot traffic only.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7374.jpeg
    IMG_7374.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Either, chop out sufficient area to accommodate the larger frame, or use a concrete lintel to reduce the size of the opening, fit a smaller cover and make good above the lintel with concrete.

If that top pipe on the R/H side is an old vent, probably wise to remove/block that off at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back