Drainage Planning for kitchen Ext

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Peeps

Getting a little forward planning on Drainage for our rear extension. i have threw something together for you to laugh at. its exisiting and proposed plans. i will be hoping to take on as much of this as i can, but if not the bricky can take over. i feel i "could" do it with the right research and a helping hand from you guys, so onto the stuf..

we have a kitchen lay out we really want to stick to, got to keep the mrs happy on this one!

Couple of things

No island, but thinking it would be a good idea to add something in there while we can but it would need to be sealed? not sure what it would be.

Garage currently has no drainage, the guttering just runs off into the garden, and at the barn doors at the front there's no gully and it just puddles up.

Dont really want to dig up too much of the old floor other than for pipes as it could add too much for little gain UNLESS we were to fit UFH, then we would have to. Thoughts on that?

Drainage Entry's inside the house would need to be the Trap Type, with a rubber reducing cap?

old Drains.png

drainage.png

7612c95c-22cf-4dac-5800-8877d69889bd.jpg

Architect has identified our drains, has advised we need to remove the one in the corner, swap out for GRP and re-attach. Remove old Clay pipes that we are going to build over. While thinking about all this, i thought about adding the garage into it. I originally intended to go with a soakaway for the garage but as im already messing about..

Could you guys eye this over?

Sponsored Links
Can't you move the sink on to the external wall and run all the drains outside the building ? Wc/svp needs to connect to an inspection chamber. Keep drain runs straight between inspection chambers.

Hey bud. Rather not as it upsets layout for tall larder units at that end. Iv tried it loads of ways and it just dont look right

I could run a solvent waste behind the service void but it would be a long run in 50mm with a bend in the corner. Not ideal is it

Last edited:
Iv downloaded the regs documents. Blown my mind a bit so i will have a sit tonight and digest some info.

Sponsored Links
i thought about adding the garage into it. I originally intended to go with a soakaway for the garage but as im already messing about..

Unless there is a good reason, you cant discharge rainwater into the foul.

When the architect came, he said it was normal for our property as they are linked, im not clued up with these things so at the time i did ask him that. I thought we would be putting a soakaway in but he said no need.

Is that wrong?

When the architect came, he said it was normal for our property as they are linked, im not clued up with these things so at the time i did ask him that. I thought we would be putting a soakaway in but he said no need.

Is that wrong?

If it is currently a combibed system, then that is ok. Building inspectors can get funny about it though, so dont assume you can add the garage.

If it is currently a combibed system, then that is ok. Building inspectors can get funny about it though, so dont assume you can add the garage.

If thats the case, it might just so happen that in the future it somehow magically does!

Hey ian.

I wish we could mate. But thats next's boundary. We dont have any access along that side of the wall. We could go the other way though i think. Would be a long cutout of the old concrete kitchen floor but probably no worse than the other direction.

Il post back

So, another layout completly.

i have moved the ground floor WC to how we are looking at doing it, there's not actually a sink in there right now and we dont use it, so i have reversed the door and put a corner sink on the drawings.

Question's!

inspection chambers for soil stacks, can it be the type that has a 110mm cap you unscrew off the top? if so i could use one of those on the ground floor WC for the toilet junction. The upstair's WC
has already got an access point in the stack, but i am not sure if this is what you mean.

Obviously there will be some minor offset bends at the Chamber, it's unlikley the directions of the pipes will be spot on, but from what i have read as long as they are as close as possible to the chamber, it's ok?

I have moved the storm drain for the extension to the other side, me not thinking i will just have the run off the other way in the guttering! I have also ommited the garage drainage for clarity and potention problems
with BC as Notch7 has pointed out.

There's going to be plenty of concrete to cut!

drainage 2.png

If you must run drains under the floor, how about connecting the sink and washer wastes to a stub stack in that void behind the units and run the drain straight across under the green area to the wc and an inspection chamber outside the wc.

Morning leo.

So your saying ditch the run thats in the red area altogether, run a 50mm domestic waste behind the base units in the void, into the stub stack?

Its an idea for sure. Only downsides are cutting the backs of the units along the length of the run.

Just a question, is there an issue with the run that is placed in the new red slab, or are you just thinking of cutting down the amount of 110mm runs?

The soil wastes that have the big removable top, would they do the job in terms of 'access chamber' as it would provide visual and rodding inspection. I have attached a picture.

The upstairs wc stack at the end is vented at the roof level

Attachments

• Grey_Access_Bend__41274.1497949398.1280.1280.jpeg.jpg
    Grey_Access_Bend__41274.1497949398.1280.1280.jpeg.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 246
Appreciate you want to try and keep the layout but - how about moving the sink to the right of the washers, so that the draining board side of it goes over the washers? You've then got all of your kitchen drainage in one location, meaning you only need a single 40mm/50mm waste pipe which can run down to the floor behind the sink, and then along your floor (with the correct fall) under the cabinets and out of the external wall into a new gulley. Your washers can connect to the sink trap - just buy one that has two appliance nozzles on it like this one https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/...ccessories/wm11-sink-trap-twin-135deg-nozzles. This is exactly how we do it in our house, using a similar trap with a washing machine and dishwasher either side of the sink. It works absolutely fine even when both are running at the same time. You could then have the hob where the sink currently is (and perhaps swap the fridge and oven larder units around)?

Hey leccy, yes i had originally layed it out that way as it makes sense to have it all in one location. The dishwasher is not on there but thats next to the sink. The only reason we didnt go for it was because i have moved things around a lot and it ends up looking crammed in the corner

I will take another look at it tonight on the planner. I think the problem is i dont mind going those extra miles to get it the original way, but if theres a better looking way obviously i will change it. I will deffo have a faff bout tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back