Drainage Planning for kitchen Ext

so, had a play around. have yet to see the mr's reaction but here it goes anyway.

new design 1.png
new design4.png
new design2.png

ignore the crappy model render!

i could more the washer, dryer and dishwasher down a bit more towards the cooker, but i am already having to use Flat rectangle 50mm ducting to side vent the dryer out behind the larder units. I need
to avoid extracting out onto the boundary side wall as future access will be a problem for blockages etc.

Sponsored Links
Spoke to the Mrs, were looking at this being the Ideal one, and it does reduce the drainage as you suggested. The builder ( a mate) is coming tomorrow so we can sort some bits out, hopefully we will get moving!

plan4-1.png

plan4-2.png

I’d get the sink central under those shallower wall units and get integrated machines, jobs a good’ un.

Hi ian

Moved the sink over for more worktop towards the cooker, but i do agree it would look better.

Were looking into intergrated. We have always had free standing so not sure on if they are worth it? It would need to be a 7kg 1400

Sponsored Links
moved it again to how you said ian, looks good (y)

Didnt even know they did intergrated washing machines at 8kg! I think iv been under a rock.

Last edited:
How deep is the drainage going to be? Looking at the ground floor WC, I'd personally, (and BC may insist), it's connected to the main run using a chamber. Whilst you could fit an access cap internally, it's not going to be a pleasant job trying to unblock the lateral internally. If the run is under 600mm deep externally, you'll get away with a mini chamber on the connection, worst case scenario you have to use a 450mm chamber. For what it'll cost to fit whilst builder is doing the drainage, it'll be cheaper than redecorating the WC!

He told me today he will go for a chamber for ground floor wc. For the reasons you said. So all i need to do is get my shovel and get digging. I will get back with pics!

Exciting times :mrgreen:

'He told me today he will go for a chamber for ground floor wc.'- good, glad somebody has taken notice:!:

Sorry leo, i did see it. I asked about the types of chambers a few posts ago. I wasnt sure if a soil pipe with a removable cap was classed as an inspection chamber or not.

Spoke to the Mrs, were looking at this being the Ideal one, and it does reduce the drainage as you suggested. The builder ( a mate) is coming tomorrow so we can sort some bits out, hopefully we will get moving!

Nice one, that looks good and will make your drainage so much simpler! When we were buying integrated appliances we found a Beko 1600rpm 8kg washing machine (at the time there weren't any others at 1600 without paying silly money). We were dubious of the brand but it's genuinely been the best washer we've ever had! It was only around 250 squid back in 2011

Right so iv come back with some minor issues, as with everything, nothing is as it seems!

turns out the drains run differently from what we anticipated. We knew we would have a sewer run at the rear of our house that the storm drain is using, but it doent run how we initially thought. Severn trent have a map saying we are the start of the public run at the rear. however there is a "Y" branch at the manhole we planned to remove. i belive it is no longer used. many years ago they diverted next doors storm/waste into a newman hole our drive, that runs off to a 225mm street sewer. turns out only next door's waste goes into it and all our waste goes into the sewer run at the rear still.

So let's asume the "Y" branch is no longer active, and it's only active from our section onwards then we have two options, apply for a build over
agreement (we need one anyway as we are >3m away from the said drain in the drive). it will involve cutting the clay pipe at the boundary of the house we are joined to, replace the clay with PVC, make sure there's no joins under the extention and have a chamber at the top end of the run (drive side).

OR see if we can get permission to divert into the manhole in the driveway that next door use. We thought some of our waste was going into it already but it's not so we dont know if south staff's will let us divert.

i have attached some pictures of how it is currently and how i would do it if we built over or diverted.

My architect is currently looking into it also but as always i like as much info as i can get. especially if someone has had expirience doing exactly this.

Attachments

• drains_current.png
    drains_current.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 166
  • drainage 3.png
    drainage 3.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 168
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 167
  • divert.png
    divert.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 161
I have ordered a cheapo camera to drop in the drain to see if there is any incoming waste.

I think before i make any decisions i at least need to know that fact!

Good idea. The picture of the other manhole make it look like it’s running to opposite way to the drawing on my screen.

Hi ian. Yes the picture looks odd because pipes have been added at some time at the wrong angle to the exit point of the manhole.

This is one of the reasons i kinda didnt want to mess with the manhole.

I have spoke to the architect and proposed the drawing i put on here, he has agreed with it with only one alteration. He suggested to remove the pipe that i have added running across the back of the extension for the sink/storm and instead, just branch it under the extension. He said it would add benefit that it would be roddable if i used a rodding gulley.

I told him i only added the pipe and chamber nearest the garage to avoid branching under the extension but he said theres really no risk doing it. And i may struggle with ground depth for it anyway.

So to sum it up, we are not diverting but instead building over with a new pipe. obviously i need to get a camera down there to make sure i have no public waste joining mine.

Il post the revised drawing

Last edited:
Leofric said:
Wc/svp needs to connect to an inspection chamber.
'He told me today he will go for a chamber for ground floor wc.'- good, glad somebody has taken notice:!:

Looks like it has been forgotten again :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back