Drainage pricing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, how much can I expect to pay per metre run of 110 mm surface drainage, including materials? I am looking at having around 50m installed around property, will need to include around 6 rod eyes and 8 Bottle gullets. Will be discharging rainwater into the local stream.

How much to hire a man and a digger for the above Per day for doing the above?

Am looking to do it myself but If I can get a decent quote may choose to pay for concurrent activity purposes.

Sponsored Links
Eight bottle gullies will cost about £300

6m of pipe about £40 a pop.

Couplers about £4 each.

Branches, 'y' junctions, bends, etc about £10-15 each.

Rod eye plates about £12 each.

Man and machine about £180 per day for a mini digger combo plus delivery plus running and fuel.

Unless you pay top dollar for a survey expect to incur the costs of at least two 'accidents' costing average £400 each.

Spoil disposal about £200.

Call it £4500 all in.

Sponsored Links
A lot will depend upon how deep the drains need to be dug and how accurate a survey of the ground that you can produce.

A good many digger drivers will pass the onus onto the homeowner to provide services layout, though a skilled driver can be pretty cute with bucket.

For instance, the repair cost of cutting through a fibre optic cable will run into thousands.

Make sure your road stop tap is in working order.

The site you linked up was for bulk buying. This may work in your favour if you get the quantities right.

I don't know of a price per metre dig i'm sorry.

Don't forget to surround the pipes in pea gravel.

All chambers laid on concrete.

Building control will want to inspect also.

A lot will depend upon how deep the drains need to be dug and how accurate a survey of the ground that you can produce.

A good many digger drivers will pass the onus onto the homeowner to provide services layout, though a skilled driver can be pretty cute with bucket.

For instance, the repair cost of cutting through a fibre optic cable will run into thousands.

Make sure your road stop tap is in working order.

The site you linked up was for bulk buying. This may work in your favour if you get the quantities right.

I don't know of a price per metre dig i'm sorry.

Don't forget to surround the pipes in pea gravel.

All chambers laid on concrete.

Building control will want to inspect also.

Fortunately, we are pretty rural and the nearest fibre optic cable must be over a mile away. Will try and excavate the services I am aware of with a shovel, LPG gas pipe, a few cables (we are on overhead supply) and the mains water supply to the house.

What is the minimum depth of 110mm poly pipe? We are not on rainwater drainage and the land is solid clay, meaning the percolation test failed miserably. We do have a stream, however I am unsure as to how much depth I have to play with from the house to the stream, especially when the water. Level rises during heavy rain. Am I right in thinking as long as the base of the bottle trap is higher than the top of the level of the stream during heavy rain, the drains won't back up and the drainage will function?

Morning mbga9pf,

The next door neighbour did something similar last year. A 50m long dig from house to a ditch at bottom of garden to discharge rainwater (not as many junctions but a similar length).

So I had hired a mini digger for a week to put a retaining wall in for same ditch, cost me around £300 all in. Just go round your local builder's merchants, plenty have plant to hire. If you need insurance then that can be bought at a price for the week.

Lent it to neighbour for the day while I was pouring concrete. His learning curve was around an hour then he was digging trenches. The hardest part was getting the fall right but he cracked it in the day.

He then laid the pipes the next day (prices are available on the internet, my guess is that noseall has included his markup - nothing wrong with that of course, but you don't need to pay it). He had to cover it all up with a spade and some manual labour but there was no rush.

He didn't do the pressure test and pea gravel thing, maybe you should, but it's only rainwater. You can call building control and I am sure they are very friendly, they weren't interested in my neighbour's job. If it was me, for rainwater I wouldn't bother them, could open a can of worms.

If you want somebody to dig the thing for you then ebay is full of lads selling a business card for 99p and you get the digger/man combo for whatever they charge. Round these parts you might only pay £140 + delivery a day. My neighbour did it in a single long summer's day and he was a amateur hack.

Obviously whatever you price it at to DIY will be less that the final cost but £4500 would be a nice little earner for a builder. They are, of course, in the job to make a profit.

As for a price per metre. I seem to remember reading in a self build 'bible' (2008???) that it works out at about £40 a metre. Material prices will have gone up since then, labour charges should have dropped. That will be for foul drainage done properly.

Just a guess.

Morning mbga9pf,
Just a guess.

Absolutely spot on thanks and just what I was looking for.

Only last thing I need to know, will 300mm compacted be enough to cover the pipes? I am planning on covering in a concrete pour for areas of the drive were vehicles will cross and may in fact cover over with some concrete slabs I have for a bit more structural integrity. but for areas of garden that arent going to be dug up, will 300mm do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back