Drainage Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I've just moved into my new house and have been having problems with the kitchen sink drain in the kitchen which is part of an extension that was added.

The sink was not draining properly, so I used a drain cleaner to see if that sorted out the problem. It didn't and the drain needs plunging every couple of days.

I lifted an inspection panel in the utility room and found out my problem. See the picture below.

PlumbingProbs.jpg

My question is: what would be the best way of running the pipe?

I did some digging around and found they recommend a 20mm drop per metre. I was under the impression that I shouldn't drill a hole in the joist, Is this correct and if I can do, should I laminate around the hole with extra wood.

Thanks in Advance
Mark

Sponsored Links
what depth is the upper joist 7", 8" etc ?
how far does the waste travel past the upper joist before exiting the floor to the sink ?

can it not enter the floor on this side of the joist ?

The picture doesn't show it very well but the pipe goes under the left joist not the one on the right as I labelled.

The hatch is back down at the moment so I can't check the joists. I think the uppers are either 6" or 7" and the sink is probably about 1.5 m maybe 2m past the upper joist

Thanks for you quick reply
Mark

The picture doesn't show it very well but the pipe goes under the left joist not the one on the right as I labelled.

now i'm confused i can swear that pipe go's to the right and under the upper joist :confused:

Sponsored Links
It bends slightly to the right then goes under the left joist. The flash just didn't reach that far.

I'll draw a little diagram in a bit

Thanks
Mark

i was talking about this end not the end we can't see.

what end is the kitchen sink ?

and yes a diagragm willbe better.

Sorry its taken so long to reply.

Here is the diagrams.

Current Plumbing:
Current-Plumbing.jpg

My Plan:
my-plan.jpg

Will my plan work ok and how much drop will I need on the drain.

Thanks very much
Mark

thats a better idea.
1:40 drop.
try use a swept bend rather than an elbow or two 45's.

It's a long pipe run for kitchen waste. The likelihood of kitchen grease congealing when cooling travelling along the pipe, is quite high. If you can, and you have already got this access panel in the utility room, try and incorporate an access eye at that point, for rodding both ways :idea:

Sorry about this question but I'm new to plumbing.

Is it best to use the push fit pipework or is it best to use the stuff you glue. also would I be able to get hold of the access eye you talk of at somewhere like B&Q.

Thanks for all you help
Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back