Drained battery after power cut - can't now stop alarm sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The power was off on the alarm circuit for over 24hrs - then the alarm went off.
I typed in the code several times but it would not stop and went on for over an hour (I thought it would stop after 20 mins).
So I opened the indoor keypad box and removed the battery.
The outside alarm stayed on.
In the end I cut the wire going into the outside box but it kept going.
I removed the box and put it into a blanket to muffle it and it eventually stopped.
The question is:
Should typing in the alarm code silence it even when the indoor battery has died?
The alarm has been working fine for years even though the flasher outdoors has been flashing for years in "the alarm has gone off" mode.
I couldn't find a way to stop it flashing but as I say it worked so I ignored it.
Does this indicate a bigger problem?

Thanks in advance people!

Sponsored Links
The alarm did exactly what it should do in the circumstances.

You've only made things worse by cutting the cable, have fun.

I wonder if you have now blown a fuse by cutting the cable?

The alarm did exactly what it should do in the circumstances.

You've only made things worse by cutting the cable, have fun.

I wonder if you have now blown a fuse by cutting the cable?

No other option in the circumstances without knowledge of how to stop the alarm mate so "making things worse" is not correct - the alarm is now off - job done.
There was no power on so the fuse will not have blown.
The only damage is carefully cut wires that need reconnecting once I have the knowledge to reset the alarm.
Any constructive advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Actually Europlex's advice was spot on, so your reply was a bit cheeky.

By cutting the wire you were creating a tamper alarm in addition to anything else that was wrong, so it was hardly likely to stop the box sounding. It's the very last thing you should have done and will just make fault finding more difficult.

But as he said, 'have fun'.

Still didn't tell us make of panel. More than likely it's gone back to factory default code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back