Drained Down Radiators - Now Only 2 Out Of 6 Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SOS

My Victorian terraced has a back boiler with 6 radiators.

I drained down to fit a couple of new radiator valves, then refilled system.

Now only 2 radiators are hot, the rest are stone cold. I have tried shutting off the 2 hot ones, and also played with the pump speed. Makes no difference.

Any ideas please, 'er indoors is not happy!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have looked through the FAQs, but I have already tried the things that apply to my system inc; F&E tank filled, bleeding all rads several times, turning off the hot rads to force through to the cold ones - all to no avail.

The only thing I haven't done on the FAQ list is to bleed the pump. Its an ancient SMC one. There's a small very tight screw on the metal impellor casing, is this to bleed the pump?

Thanks for any advice.

There's a small very tight screw on the metal impellor casing, is this to bleed the pump?

yep and you wont get it out easiest way i found is to close the outlet valve then slacken the union or loosen the head at the allen screws :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev.

So what you're saying is that I can get any trapped air out through the union or head/impeller cover?

The pump looks ancient, so I shouldn't even attempt to free the screw?

Many thanks.

The pump looks ancient, so I shouldn't even attempt to free the screw?
every one ive tryed has broken off having said that if you want to have a go feel free you might drop lucky

worst case 1/2 of the head will shear and your no further forward but you aint done any harm either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back