Draining central heating system / combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Valliant 828E boiler. I am looking to drain the central heating to put in a new radiator. Could anyone help me in a few steps?

As I understand I have to turn off the gas, turn off the boiler, using the outlet valve (on the downstairs radiator - in the first picture) drain the system.

http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00132wc7.jpg

Do all pipework...

Then open this valve here to refill the system until pressure has reached 1.5? is that correct? Whilst the boiler is off or not?

http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00134rb5.jpg

Any elaboration on this would be brilliant,

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
What ever you do, DO NOT touch the valve in the 2nd photo.

This is the pressure release valve, NOT the filling valve. Once disturbed it may well leak and need replacing.

No need to turn the gas off, just all the power to it.

Is this the Ecomax 828? If so the filling loop is built in and is under the front of the boiler on the right hand side, It has 2 very small lever valves connected with approx 6-8mm pipe.

The boiler will have to be off to re-fill the system as it won't work empty :eek:

Once filled you need to turn off and turn on again holding the '+' button until 'P0' shows then press the 'i' button. This will purge the boiler of air.

This is a similar question/clarification to that I asked a few hours ago (actually I'm removing / reconnecting a Rad to decorate, but the latter stage is basically the same as adding a new one).

Like you I have a combi boiler and a sealed system (I believe yours must be sealed too).

* Is it necessary to drain the system ?? *

Can you not just add the Rad, and top-up the system, keeping the pressure between 1-1.5 while the new Rad fills ??

Would really appreciate explicit clarification on whether I've over-simplified / misunderstood ...

Many thanks ! ....Mike

Sponsored Links
Could anyone offer any help on that last post as to where the vales are located on the 828E ?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back