I really dont think this is quite what I expected....

corgiman said:
its more to do with the OP determination to get a decent job done rather than this here site
Haven't you noticed that there have been 7,000 viewings of this topic? That didn't happen by accident. Links to this topic were widely distributed to the media and gas and consumer organisations (including Corgi Tony). That makes companies like BG behave themselves.

Sponsored Links
I will give you that but I still say that the OP is a determined bugger and done the business

good luck to him

Well that was a very scarry read and cant believe (well I can really!) the mess they have caused.
After reading that I'm not going nere a combi system just going to stick with the openvent one and get a new boiler fitted.

Sponsored Links
Just come across this thread. How on earth can a company the size of BG allow such a **** up to happen in the first place?
I live near Norwich and had a quote from BG for a new system about 6 months ago to replace our knackered back boiler (the casing had almost completely rusted away on top). Decided against BGt for 2 reasons - 1) there were a grand more than the next dearest quote and 2) the salesman was an arrogant arsehole, IMHO. Ended up paying a local chap about £2700 or thereabouts for new Worcester boiler, 6 new Stelrad rads, valves, all new controls and motorised valve thingys. Absolute first class job, pipework a work of art, had his vacuum on every 10 minutes cleaning up as he went and I know if there's ever a problem, he lives about 1/2 mile up the road.

gooba wrote
Well that was a very scarry read and cant believe (well I can really!) the mess they have caused.
After reading that I'm not going nere a combi system just going to stick with the openvent one and get a new boiler fitted

If it was a heat only (i.e. not a combi) then you would still need a flue :)

BG fitters couldn`t fit a French Letter .....never could- and never will be all up to scratch .....and the dross hide behind the "politics" prevalent in a large (now uncontrolled) privatised organisation.....As it was .....so shall it ever be :rolleyes:

Nige, I don't think that is fair... they employ plenty of skilled and diligent people, and although this installation was very unsatisfactory, they aren't an organisation that can afford to leave it uncorrected.

Much of my own experience has been in the Electricity industry, and there still people who take a pride in providing a good service which is so valuable to the public.

Unfortunately big business has a tendency to load the man at the sharp end with more and more work to be done in less and less time, in order to winch up the profits, and they do this until after the effects on the company reputation have caused damage.

I see this thread has had 7679 views so far... I hope this includes people at Centrica who will concentrate more on quality of service than on short-term revenue.

gooba wrote
Quote:
After reading that I'm not going nere a combi system just going to stick with the openvent one and get a new boiler fitted

Bster said:
If it was a heat only (i.e. not a combi) then you would still need a flue

The saddest point in this case was that the guy could have had a replacement back boiler - so no flue through his house at all. (Let alone two!)

Amazing !
Looking at your first picture it appears that the BG fitter has removed the panel from above the door on the right.
As you live in a flat some of your internal doors may be fire rated doors.
The removal of this panel may contravene building regulations.
I would suggest you get this job inspected by your local planing officer.
If he does not like what he finds his report will add weight to your forthcoming battle with BG.

wow this thread still going i still could,nt live with such an eye sore of flues in living space ? i would have asked for them to fit what the gent wanted in the first place a replacement back boiler

Hello there...remember me? :)

Just thought I'd give an update after a few months of living with the BG install we had.

So how has it gone? Well after we settled up with BG financially we did have a couple more issues. Both the radiators in the bedroom and living room had leaks near the valves but they were sorted pretty quickly. We also once winter kicked in, found we had a faulty thermostat so that got replaced too.

Since then, touch wood its been fine. Was really pleased when we got our quarterly gas and electric bill through. We found we actually used less gas during the winter quarter with the new system doing all our heating and hot water than we did with the old back boiler running just an hour or so a day to heat up the water. That was pretty impressive.

As for the flue? Well my dad came to the rescue and we now have it all boxed in. Ok it isn't perfect but its neat and folks don't notice it when they come in and at least we have now been able to decorate.

We can live with it. How do I feel about it all now? Well i do get annoyed if I think about it long enough. I often wonder if there was any disciplinary action taken against any of those involved? I doubt it, as we seem to encourage and reward incompetence in this country. I would hope though that maybe this case would be added into their training course on how not to do things from start to finish.

I haven't looked though the forum to see if anyone else had similar experiences since. I sincerely hope not.

Thanks again guys.

It would be interesting to have an inside view on this.

There are many BG people who read these forums. Its a pity that none of them ever bother to put the BG view.

I expect that this was the result of a sub-contractor who was not properly supervised at the design stage and just left to get on with it.

As a matter of interest I wonder did BG know that you were posting details of your problems on a forum?

Tony

Agile said:
It would be interesting to have an inside view on this.

There are many BG people who read these forums. Its a pity that none of them ever bother to put the BG view.

I expect that this was the result of a sub-contractor who was not properly supervised at the design stage and just left to get on with it.

As a matter of interest I wonder did BG know that you were posting details of your problems on a forum?

Tony

So you dont have to read through it all -

It was all BG employed staff throughout. No subcontracting.

BG were fully aware that this was on a forum as several of the folks that dealt with me looked it up first before turning up. I also refered them to it when I sent them my full letter of complaint stating my case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back