Am I being conned by British Gas?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the further input and clarifying re FGA. When they next come to clean the boiler I will be insisting that it gets a thorough clean before the FGA, fingers crossed it will pass.

Sponsored Links
An FGA test on a back boiler is largely meaningless anyway.

Discuss ;) :p
Disagree... As this case shows, it tells you if it's burning cleanly or not. On an open flued appliance especially, flue problems will cause the CO rich flue gases to enter the property. Fair enough it would probably happen anyway as the boiler got less and less air but this would accelerate it.

Is that not more a CO Room safety test though? ;).

Do Glow Worm or Baxi give combustion figures fro the CF back boilers? Otherwise surely your going by ratio alone?

Is that not more a CO Room safety test though? ;).

Do Glow Worm or Baxi give combustion figures fro the CF back boilers? Otherwise surely your going by ratio alone?
No? Stick the probe up the down draught diverter as far as you can and get a reading (or am I misunderstanding what you're saying..?). A boiler burning badly can still pass a flue flow and spillage test.

Yes ratio alone. Above 0.004 means investigation required.

Disagree... As this case shows, it tells you if it's burning cleanly or not. On an open flued appliance especially, flue problems will cause the CO rich flue gases to enter the property. Fair enough it would probably happen anyway as the boiler got less and less air but this would accelerate it.

An OF boiler correctly set up and clean should never be CO rich because the design excess air is greater than on fan flued boilers.

But there is no need to do any FGA on a BBU according to conventional practice. But then there is no harm and it can be useful sometimes.

Before FGA, the gas man was highly experienced at judging combustion by the flame colour. That experience has not been passed on to the more recent recruits to the industry.

Its fun to try to set up a premix boilers on the flame picture alone and then see how accurate it is with your FGA !

Tony

An OF boiler correctly set up should never be CO rich because the excess air is greater than fan flued boilers.

But there is no need to do any FGA on a BBU according to conventional practice. But then there is no harm and it can be useful sometimes.

Before FGA, the gas man was highly experienced at judging combustion by the flame colour. That experience has not been passed on to the more recent recruits to the industry.

Its fun to try to set up a premix boilers on the flame picture alone and then see how accurate it is with your FGA !

Tony
"Shouldn't" Yes.

I do it on premix boilers too, also sound is as useful as sight when doing it.

Like Dan said people have worked on these boilers for years without the use of FGA's. The test probably is overkill on a BBU and it's not a compulsory test that needs to be carried out on this type of boiler. It could possibly have been like this for years but the products of combustion have not caused an issue.

I personally wouldn't worry as he reduced the BP to leave the appliance running safely.

But the real issue is of rating it as At Risk because it was not correct at full power whereas it was totally safe at the preset power output.

But it is strictly totally correct to do that.

However, in practice there is no requirement to do an FGA test at all on an OF boiler.

Also somewhat questionable if the boiler should even be set up to the maximum power just for testing. Although no one could argue that it is not just being totally safe to do so.

But if I decide to sell my property, I would have to declare this. Is this fair given that the test is of negligible use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back