Am I being conned by British Gas?

When selling you declare what you choose to.

You can also get a gas safety report to show buyers done by someone who is not out to just find fault with your system.

That is usually the person who you are paying who will be a self employed engineer and not an employee who has no real interest in you or your problems.

With an old boiler like that I would recommend someone over 50 who will have seen them before!

Tony

Sponsored Links
But if I decide to sell my property, I would have to declare this. Is this fair given that the test is of negligible use?

So you haven't decided wether to sell or not, or are you having any intention to sell or just looking for other problems. Taking into consideration that you have a 23 year old back boiler if you don't sell soon you will be replacing the boiler anyway. And most people who move in will rip it out.

I'm hoping to be able to move, however, I work in local govt and my jobs at risk as well as the boiler and I'm on a threat of redundancy notification! So I'm waiting to find out what comes of that before making a decision.

From what I've read on the thread though, I could ask an independent company to service the boiler and presumably they could remove the at risk status if the boiler passed the usual group of tests, rather than the additional tests that BG run. I could then in all honesty if I am going to move, confirm that the boiler is OK, though I'm sure they would want to knock some money off for such an old boiler.

But if I'm in the house in the longer term, I need to start putting some pennies away for replacing the boiler because it may not have too many more years left in it.

Sponsored Links
Hi, just by way of an update for those of you who were kind enough to offer advice previously.

BG came today to service the boiler. I mentioned that the boiler was at risk last time and asked the gas man if he would give it a really good clean as had been suggested in this thread. The outcome was that the boiler passed all the tests, including the FGA it failed last time and is no longer at risk :)

Hi, just by way of an update for those of you who were kind enough to offer advice previously.

BG came today to service the boiler. I mentioned that the boiler was at risk last time and asked the gas man if he would give it a really good clean as had been suggested in this thread. The outcome was that the boiler passed all the tests, including the FGA it failed last time and is no longer at risk :)

Thats good to know, back boilers are simple beasts. Sadly some cant be bothered to clean them fully.

dont need to FGA a back boiler. all you need is flue flow test,spillage test, gas rate,flame picture, burner pressure,and a good hoover out ,clean up.

by the way you supposed to replace the flue liners every 15 years. very rare that there done.

No I don't work for them but your costing them money.....
For all the public who read this reply understand this much. They are there to make money and not you to cost THEM.
You pay 25 pounds a month or whatever and you get them out for a new fan, gas valve , pump then a circuit board you're costing THEM.

I know they're handy with their 24 hour 365 call out but 23 year old boiler, I'm suprised they let you stay on the books 😅

I also offer a 24 hr 365 day call out without any £25 per month.

But that means I will actually go to the customer.

I think that all BG do is to guaranty they will answer the phone and not to actually attend 24/7.

Tony

I also offer a 24 hr 365 day call out without any £25 per month.

But that means I will actually go to the customer.

I think that all BG do is to guaranty they will answer the phone and not to actually attend 24/7.

Tony

To be fair Tony Bg do go out 24/7/365 but they dont charge any diagnostic fee or etra charge for any parts / labbour required ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back