I really dont think this is quite what I expected....

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:

Even leaving aside that very good point, has anyone successfully run a horizontal concentric flue over that distance with that number of bends?. I can't wait to see how the finished job will look.

The only viable solution I would have gone with would have been twin plastic solvent weld or twin plastic pushfit with purpose made brackets and boxed the lot in. I admit, not pretty.

as i said earlier , i would have asked for the system to be taken out and back boiler fitted with new cylinder as gentleman originally requested and was missinformed about not being able to have.plus all the making good , loss of earnings and compensation.

fitz1 said:
as i said earlier , i would have asked for the system to be taken out and back boiler fitted with new cylinder as gentleman originally requested and was missinformed about not being able to have.plus all the making good , loss of earnings and compensation.

I'm inclined to agree fitz1, but now the mess has been made, the Glowy will be much more economic to run.

Just a question of agreeing how much they make good etc.

I would consider offering them £2k once everything is satisfactory. take it or leave it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
fitz1 said:
i bet the the back boiler would outlive the combi by about 10 years.

Your not wrong there :LOL:

Well perhaps 20 years would be nearer just to be picky ;)

doitall said:
fitz1 said:
i bet the the back boiler would outlive the combi by about 10 years.

Your not wrong there :LOL:

Well perhaps 20 years would be nearer just to be picky ;)

Damn right.

I'm still seeing perfectly safe and operational BBU's that must be nearing 30 yrs - Glowworm 246 Galaxie' s, New World Stornoways, etc

Even i have a Baxi 552 that must be a fair old age. Not costing as much to run as u'd think (i tell the mrs to put on an extra jumper lol !!)

Some combi's ive encountered are less than 10 yrs old and pretty much uneconomical to repair by the time the cust shells out for parts and labour.

Trouble is we've now experienced high pressue hot water on demand and we like it.

At the end of the day my nerves are so frazzled I couldnt go through with having it all ripped out again and then having to clear up the mess then finding that install had problems too etc. etc.

There are limits to what you'll put up with when you live in a micro flat.

The flue does work out to the right length. The Glowworm tech said it would be fine.

We'll see how it goes. If that leaks then I'll be asking if any of you guys want to put your money where you mouth is, so to speak. ;) :LOL:

i read all these posts last night about your horror story daglesj wow it takes some beating . a friend of mine had bg replace her central heating boiler and the controller hasnt worked wright since . her boiler and pipe work and wiring etc in boiler house were a mess before but all they did was change boiler and leave all the old pumps controls and guess what no combi just a straight floor gas boiler mexico i think. so she has to manually move the moterised valve . and they wouldnt come back in end she said. i had a quote from bg for my own boiler replacement and i soon found out the guy pricing job didnt have much clue about the job . of course i never had them i had a local guy been in trade since he left school he gave me straight answers and as he was doing the job knew what he was talking about . and if its a local guy at least if you have problems you can go knock on there door . any way sorry to hear about your problems daglesj, i would have opted for the back boiler and have wanted all made good and compensaation .

suffolklad said:
i read all these posts last night about your horror story daglesj wow it takes some beating . a friend of mine had bg replace her central heating boiler and the controller hasnt worked wright since . her boiler and pipe work and wiring etc in boiler house were a mess before but all they did was change boiler and leave all the old pumps controls and guess what no combi just a straight floor gas boiler mexico i think. so she has to manually move the moterised valve . and they wouldnt come back in end .

I would imagine then that she got exactly what she was quoted for.

suffolklad wrote:

guess what no combi just a straight floor gas boiler mexico

Not sure what you are saying there.

Are you saying that she was quoted for a combi and got something else.

Or are you saying that whenever someone gets a new boiler it should always be a combi :confused: :confused:

no i was surprised when they didnt suggest taking it all out for a more efficient system i thought installers must take into account part L building regs?

suffolklad said:
no i was surprised when they didnt suggest taking it all out for a more efficient system i thought installers must take into account part L building regs?

Part L specify's condensers, these can be heat only (mexico) or combi boilers.

If the existing sysetm is fully pumped and has the correct stats, bypass and TRV's then it will comply with current building regs.

Update.

B Gas have been today and have installed the single flue system. It was touch and go at first (so my GF tells me as I was flying back from Glasgow at the time).

The flue, whilst large is (in my opinion) a better compromise than the dual one. It doesnt leak and looks neater. We now have a working system after about 23 days of stress, noise, mess etc.

The guys worked well and tidied up the holes in the walls etc. and cleaned up reasonably well afterwards.

Lessons need to be learnt from this. B Gas needs to instruct its sales guys that just because they dont or wont stock or install the proper kit for the job, it doesnt mean they should go ahead an install something not suitable. They should say "sorry, we dont have anything we can install that will do the job!" and walk away. Their engineers should, if they feel the install is not suitable, call in and question it, rather than just knuckle down and install it.

We the customers, should not be bulldozed into choices just because something isnt your field of expertise. There are plenty of pro-bullsh*tters out there. You can still be right!

Call Centers are still a crap and non-customer focused idea and always will be.

After all that, I got the standard bill through today from B Gas to pay the rest of the balance of £4600. Needless to say I'll be in further discussions re. this.

I just hope my nerves hold out. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back