I really dont think this is quite what I expected....

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
What size is the pipe
It's clearly 22mm. Compare with 15mm PRV discharge in middle pic. 40' = 12 metres, + say 5 metres for fittings = a bit undersized?

chrishutt said:
doitall said:
What size is the pipe
It's clearly 22mm. Compare with 15mm PRV discharge in middle pic. 40' = 12 metres, + say 5 metres for fittings = a bit undersized?

Certainly would be if you allowed 0.8 m³/hr for the cooker Chris.

not very much though, but considering the rest of the installation, we may as well got he whole hog :LOL:

I think the main problem here is the shoddy fitting and the leaking of the flue there is no point in this guy having to much information that may be right (because we can't see the job).

If he goes to trading standards with the flue alone he has got a good case.

To much informatin and all that

Sponsored Links
Quick update.

Refered this to Norfolk Trading Standards last night.

Corgi phoned me this morning and they will be arranging an engineer to come round and inspect.

Liam from BG rang me this lunchtime to tell me its been refered to their Field manager and they will be in touch shortly.

Called Glow Worm to see if they would inspect but they said they would only do it through BG, so no go there.

Don't let them talk you out of anything.

And lay it on thick when Corgy turn up :LOL:

As far as were concerned the job is life threatening and therefore "Riddor" reportable.

doitall said:
As far as were concerned the job is life threatening and therefore "Riddor" reportable.

Possibly or maybe there is condensation it where it runs through a bathroom / kitchen....just can't say without seeing the complete installation.

also i cant see if anyone has mentioned but your are not supposed to run the flues through habitable rooms like bedrooms hallways bathrooms etc,as if one of the flue seals fails you will have co leaking at that seal.
This is the case with Halstead boilers but i feel this is probably the case with all boiler manufacturers

the plumbing miracle:wrote
"This is the case with Halstead boilers but i feel this is probably the case with all boiler manufacturers."

Halstead man not my fovorite, but did you know they have a condensing boiler that fits on a flexible liner ideal for replacing old back boilers say.

yeh i know about the plastic flexible liner but boiler doesnt look pretty slap bang in the middle of someones lounge,still the customer has no say in the matter you treat the job as if the place is empty and the customer is blindfolded and has their hands and feet tied to a chair and you have a hot iron in your hand and you periodically burn them with the iron until they agree with the position imposed on them good old mr prescott !
:evil: :evil: :oops: :oops: :mad: :evil: :oops: :evil: :evil:

An update.

Corgi rep came round on Wednesday morning. Nice chap, very thorough.

He then told me things were not too great. He went through a list of faults and minor deviations and this resulted in the gas being turned off and red warning stickers being placed on the combi and gas main.

I wasnt too worried as at least I knew what the score was with the system and that was what I wanted.

Reproted this back to the BG Engineer Manager and he came round Thurday morning. He couldnt believe what he saw and couldnt apologise enough. The job shouldnt have been done in the first place. He called some engineers round in the afternoon and they made good on the points the Corgi chap left.

I have the Engineer Manager and a rep from Glowworm coming round hopefully in 10 minutes to discuss 'other options'.

It looks like it could all be ripped out and we go back to a back boiler with an unvented mains pressure cylinder.

The annoying thing is.....thats what I actually asked for first!

Sometimes the customer IS right.

So we'll have to go through it all again. I'll keep you posted.

Glad sanity may be in evidence at last. Hope they put the decor back as well.
Unvented HW - did you ask for that? Not cheap, and make sure you find out where they propose running the discharge pipe!!!

Did the Corgi man find things we hadn't?

Good luck :)

Well its all change.

Seems they had an epiphany last night and realised that you can run a single concentric flue of 4".

The Glowworm tech confirmed it and thats what we are going to do.

So next week they will be back to remove the exisiting twin flue, fit the smaller single flue and put right all the holes etc.

Then we'll see about how they want to play finishing this matter off.

The Corgi chap found a few things not noticed by folks here. At least I've got a system thats had a good going over safety wise. Have to say in future I'd get Corgi out to inspect anything like this.

As a side note, B Gas are apparently now going the way of offering mains pressure cylinders rather than combi at all costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back