Draught from window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
390D7202-ED78-43F4-8369-399E1AAA61FF.jpeg

Hi

Keep getting draughts of cold air coming in from the gasket (I think this is what it’s called). It’s the rubber seal bit between the upvc frame and the glass.

any ideas how to stop it?

I’ve attached a pic but it’s not easy to
See - the pic is on its side as couldn’t rotate it!!!

Sponsored Links
Is it definetly a draught from the window or is it a convection draught ( air movement around the window)?.

Only way you'd get draught through the gasket is incorrect gasket or incorrect thickness of sealed unit, and thats an extruded gasket ( part of the bead ) by the looks of it...have you had the sealed unit changed recently?

Hi

I only moved in 2 months ago and done nothing to any windows.

the seals on the newer windows (fitted as part of extension) appear to have the seal flush against the window at an angle
To stop a draft. The older windows seal
Don’t

Attachments

• 23BBA3A9-2757-4B35-8891-2541A14C3240.jpeg
    23BBA3A9-2757-4B35-8891-2541A14C3240.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 24AAA998-123E-43D5-B6E7-A73DBB0AF325.jpeg
    24AAA998-123E-43D5-B6E7-A73DBB0AF325.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 87
Both pictures show gaskets in completely acceptable places. Picture 2 is a gasket that is an integral part of the bead and made as part of the ' extrusion '. Picture 1 its slightly harder to tell but could be a ' wedge ' gasket. I would say that picture 2 looks like the newer window due to the gasket, as a lot of manufacturers changed it so the gasket became ' sightline ' and were as invisible as possible. Neither window looks overly old either as both appear to have ' warm edge spacer bar ' ( albeit different makes).

As goes your draught... can you slide a piece of paper between the glass and the gasket , without to much force? If then yes something would appear to be wrong, if you can't then the ' draft ' can't be coming in from the gasket

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply - the draught defo appears to be coming from there but can’t slide the paper as per your suggestion. Back to the drawing I suppose!

I’ve checked other windows and same
Draught / cold air from them

Thanks for the reply - the draught defo appears to be coming from there but can’t slide the paper as per your suggestion. Back to the drawing I suppose!

I’ve checked other windows and same
Draught / cold air from them
As ronniecabers touched on, you need to be careful when standing beside a closed window as to not confuse an actual draft (caused by air leaking in) with convection air movement. My mum lives in a high rise, the wall that leads out onto the balcony is basically a big set of upvc windows and a door from floor to ceiling. Especially in this cold weather, you would swear 'there's a draft coming from those windows' however when you investigate there are no drafts, however it sometimes feels slightly drafty and colder when standing beside them.

Your pics aren't clear enough to tell if the seals are fitting correctly and all the way round. However you should be able to check this and any gaps should be visible or locatable by using the paper trick. Are the windows properly sealed outside with caulking/sealant i.e. where the frames meet the masonry/brickwork? Check that also to ensure no gaps.

Unless the windows were all manufactured with the same (incorrect) tolerance and/or all fitted incorrectly, it's difficult to see how they could all be drafty.

Also check things like trickle vents if fitted, even when closed these can sometimes let air in. And make sure openers are sealing properly when closed, you should get the 'sealed' sound when these are closed and handle/lock engaged.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back