draughty vent axia

Well John it does sound like a good idea but I think the hob is too far away. The vent is at the front of the kitchen to the left and the hob is at the side of the kitchen in the middle about 1and a quarter metres away. Hope that makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Sure, I agree...the cooker hood does need to be over - yes - a cooker or hob. However it is possible to put a hood over your hob then direct the outlet via plastic ducts to the existing Vent Axia hole - or, block up the V A hole, and cut a new one. Food for thought maybe? No way would I be without a cooker hood, and even less so a recirculating one! J :)

That would be great - I have always wanted a cooker hood and that would give me a great excuse for a new hob too or even a new kitchen - no, I don't think that will happen! Now I know it's possible I will definitely get it sorted for the new year. Do I need an electrician or a general builder is the next question! :D

Its definitely a small works job this one....the electricity supply is there, and a 4" hole for the hood outlet can be cut with a core drill very easily. Hooker hoods usually are just mounted by 4 screws through the back, and the outlet can be straight through the back and therefore completely unseen, or can rise vertically through the ceiling or anywhere in between. I'm sure any trusted odd jobber could handle this one!
John :)

Sponsored Links
You're a star - I know exactly what I'm doing now. Will let you know how I get on! Sorted. :D

some of the new extractor vents are 5" so check before you just drill the hole

Hallo everyone,
Just before Christmas I had the horrible extractor fan removed and hole filled in. What a difference - no draughts and just before all this cold weather. However, now I feel I need some kind of cooker hood as at the moment there is potentially a lot of condensation from the cooking hob. The problem is there isn't enough ceiling height above the hob so that means going out on the side wall ie the side of the house and towards my neighbour. It would mean making another hole ( NO!!!) and it would be quite a big job. Can anyone think of any other solution? It is only a small kitchen and I could just open the window but that is on another wall and doesn't really do the job. Has anyone else got away without having an extractor? Help!!

Hello myanne
Drilling a hole to suit the new cooker hood is really a small deal - something called a core drill will drill the correct size hole in one chunk, and it doesn't destroy tiles etc.
A new cooker hood can be mounted directly over the hole, and if you are concerned about the neighbour complaining about the cooking smell, you can get a plastic duct that directs the exhausted air downwards.
All you'll need after that is an electric supply.
Is this worth considering?

Hallo John!
Happy new year.
Well, the electric supply is a bit of a worry because the power point is to the right of the hob so might be too far and I'm glad the neighbour problem is sorted. Will it look unsightly outside and also can you get hoods that can be attached on a side wall? Are they definitely worth having? Can you get small hoods? Lots of questions - sorry.

Hello and a happy New Year to you and yours!
Outside all you would see is a plastic terminal. I can't see anyone objecting to that - after all they look quite neat and it wouldn't be extracting all of the time.
Cooker hoods usually have a length of 600mm and project 450mm (typically) - but there will be variations on these. Try the Comet website, maybe?
As for the electrical supply, again thats really no problem and it would involve chasing a slot in the wall from a convenient socket to run the cable in - this would terminate in a fused spur where the cooker hood would be connected into.
If you have nice tiles that you don't want disturbed then maybe the power could come down from the ceiling? There's always a way!
The cheaper basic hoods can be fitted back to the wall, or sandwiched between cupboards, and the exhaust is either straight out the back or vertically upwards. Hope this helps!

At least you can share some thoughts / ideas with the contractor!
Good luck with it if you choose to go ahead - kitchen extraction is really vital.

John, I have just seen a small and cheap hood on Comet website called Turboair Latina £ 37.49. If you have time could you take a look and let me know if that is the sort that can be fitted on the side wall rather than above. Thanks!

Hi myanne
I've just checked that one out, and I'm sure the back of it can be fixed direct to the wall.
However, its only 76mm high, so to vent this externally, a right angle elbow duct would have to be used that came out of the top then immediately turned through the outside wall. I'm not sure if this is what you want - although a plastic elbow wouldn't look an eyesore.
Models with a greater height (usually 150mm) draught straight out of the back, and the 100mm hole that is required is hidden by the unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back