draughty vent axia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo,
I have a very draughty vent axia ventilator in my kitchen. It was fitted about 22 years ago and is big ugly and noisy. The worst thing though is the way it lets in draughts and the house is freezing! It has some controls below that are very inefficient and it doesn't close off properly. Would it possible to close it off somehow? I haven't got a cooker hood so I suppose I need it to get rid of steam etc but is it essential?? Help!
Thanks!
myanne[/img]

Sponsored Links
The louvres on these things do tend to get gunged up with grease after a while...however they are spring loaded so taking the cover off for a good clean could pay dividends.
More modern extractors do tend to be quieter and more efficient and can also come with backdraught shutters too. However your old Vent axia could have a 6" vent hole, whereas most are 4" these days - but I'm sure replacing like for like wouldn't be impossible. Cheers John :)

Thanks for advice. I unscrewed the unit and pulled and the whole thing came out of the wall with a wire attached so I panicked and quickly shoved it all back in!!!!! Was this meant to happen and should I have taken it all out and cleaned it? You're right though - it does look a bit grubby!
Myanne

Sponsored Links
rip it out and block it up or fill with expanding foam.i hate bloody vents.we have windows ,they vent if you open them.

Thanks Chukka 63 - that's exactly the way I'm thinking now. It will be a large hole though. Will have to get a builder to brick it up - seems like the only solution as I really do hate the thing and as you say, there are windows close by.
myanne

Thanks for advice. I unscrewed the unit and pulled and the whole thing came out of the wall with a wire attached so I panicked and quickly shoved it all back in!!!!! Was this meant to happen and should I have taken it all out and cleaned it? You're right though - it does look a bit grubby!
Myanne

Of course, all of the grot thats in the fan would be on the walls and ceiling otherwise.....
If I remember, the fan housing should be screwed to the wall, and the louvred cover is detachable for cleaning. long time since I've had one to bits though. John :)

John - thank you. You could be right because when I took it out the whole unit came out and when I saw the wire at the back it was a bit scary so I put it all back in without trying to pull the front bit off. It didn't look like it wanted to come off but, then again, if it's really dirty and greasy it would be stuck and maybe I should have had a better go at it. Also the thing is in an awkward place above a work top which is obviously in the way so access was difficult. I have a little spare time today so may have another bash at it. Something has to be done because it makes the house so cold and it's a real nuisance.

Just one thing - I've been calling it a ventilator when it is possibly an extractor is there a difference???? Whoops!

I'll just put me anorak back on, but an extractor uses force draught due to the electric fan and a ventilator just uses natural draught.... :idea:
These things are pretty tough and the pull cord - if its that type - opens the louvres and switches the thing on. The plastic used doesn't take kindly to petroleum solvents so something like Mr Muscle may work....but kitchen grease - especially veggie oil - sticks like there's no tomorrow.

Enjoy! John :)

Make sure that the vent isn't supplying fresh air for a gas appliance in the kitchen (Heater, CH Boiler etc.).
I suffer from a colder-than-it-ought-to-be kitchen because I have a floor standing CH boiler in it which needs permanently open vents to the outside. I even had to remove the flyscreens from the vents because of (probably sensible) regulations which make them even more draughty!

Well you've me thinking Stephen - thanks for your input. Although my instinct now is to get rid of it and get it blocked up I am worried that it might be a legal requirement for something. I have an electric hob and a separate oven but the hob doesn't have an hood above it so I suppose it's to take out all the steam etc. However it is more trouble than it is worth and I would rather open the window. I haven't had time to have another bash at it today but it is, as usual, a very cold kitchen because of it and I really hate it!! I wish I could send a photo so that you lovely helpful people could see it - I don't think I can but will investigate. Thanks for your view - I really appreciate it.

Is it possible to put a cooker hood in, and vent through the existing vent axia hole? Every kitchen needs one...I even think its in the regs now. John :)

I can't see a button - it's just an ugly grey outer plastic frame round lots of vents that let in all the air. The whole thing is about 15 x15 inches and below is like a grey box with three sliding controls that I don't really understand and when I slide any of them they can create a loud noise and supposedly take all the steam out although not very effective. I keep looking at it wondering whether to have another go at taking it out but I don't think I'm up to it tonight - far too stressful!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back