Drayton Lifestyle LP522, can I add a thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I just moved into a new house which has a Drayton Lifestyle LP522 dual channel programmer on an oil combi boiler (The hot water is just set to always on). I can't find any information on how to add a thermostat to the CH though I think it should be possible. I acquired a Nest Thermostat E (for free) that I would like to use.

Longer term, once I have some spare cash I would like to replace the programmer with a Tado or some such but for now just getting the Nest E working would be a bonus as it would stop the heating coming on when we have the wood burner fired up!

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Consult the Manufacturer's Instruction for your boiler and you will see the necexxary information for installing a thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Provided that your boiler is suitable, from a wiring point of view the LP522 is a simple on/off switch, so is the Nest-e. You would simply be replacing one on/off switch with another on/off switch.

The only difference I can see is that the LP522 would be 'on' for longer sustained periods of time, but the Nest-e would switch 'on' and 'off' more frequently to maintain the set temperature. Not a problem for a gas boiler but maybe it is for an oil boiler, so perhaps why @oilhead is suggesting you check the manual.

Assuming it is OK probably the easiest way to DIY install the Nest-e is as follows:

If you remove the LP522 the backplate wiring terminals are:

LP522.png

1. Run a new cable from the LP522 to the Nest-e receiver and connect one of the wires to the Nest-e receiver 'NO' terminal and another to the 'C' terminal
2. Remove the existing wire from terminal '4' of the LP522 and connect / join it to the wire going to Nest-e 'NO'
3. Connect the wire from Nest-e 'C' to the now vacant terminal '4' of the LP522

You would then control the heating via the Nest-e, [Nest-e has time and temperature control in the single unit] and as per the hot water, the central heating should be set to be permanently 'on' at the LP522. Allowing the Nest-e to take full control.

A professional would remove the LP522, but this would involve more wiring changes, so if you don't mind leaving it in situ this is the easiest way.

Last edited:
Perfect @stem exactly what I was looking for. Once we have the rest of the house done I will properly upgrade the system and get rid of the lp522 for good but this is just an in-situ upgrade. I can't see the boiler caring too too much, can't be any worse than the kids turning the hot tap on/off all day.

edit. quick look in the boiler install manual says it should be used with a timer or thermostat.

Last edited:
Any thermostat you choose , simple wires in series with the CH call for heat from the LP522, nothing hard about it, if you want to use nest E just set the CH to always on at the LP522 and the nest E will control the heating function at the boiler end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back