Drayton LP722

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am have a problem with my heating and hot water . Since I had the LP722 fitted ( new model) the over run on the boiler does not work on the heating side and the boiler bangs and rattles when the heating has reached temp, if I have the hot water on and the heating the boiler is quiet. The system is fully pumped and has two zone valves on.
I would say as well this problem has started since we had the new lp722 fitted ( by Scottish Power ) and all was well before this was fitted. ( we had the LP722 fitted because of it's battery backup fitted )
Could you give me some idea's please as to what went wrong.
PS. The LP722 frontal was fitted to the old back plate.

Sponsored Links
I've asked the mods to move your thread to heating forum, you are more likely to get a definitive answer there, but I would have thought Scottish power would have been your first port of call if it is giving problems after just being installed.

what boiler do you have and do you know if you have a by-pass fitted ?

I told Scottish Power what the problem was after fitting the new LP722 and the reply was ( we are not allowed to touch the wiring you need to get a electrician of your own to put a small bridging wire into the new control we have just fitted for you ) hence I told them my service contract would finish and I would get a service contract with a company that was allowed to adjust the wiring.
My boiler is a Baxi conventional fully pumped and with a two zone (water and heating)fitting.
If I was to run the heating on its own and when the boiler shut down due to thermostat control the boiler would bang and knock as the pump over run was not working. If I had the water only on and the tank stat reached temp the boiler would shut down and the pump would run for a couple of mins, allowing the water in the head of the boiler to stabilise. ( no knocking all quiet.
Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Sponsored Links
Just as Ford have made a lot of car models it is the same with Baxi ! They have made a lot of different boiler models too.

I would say that there is something seriously wrong with the way that it has been connected and it may be risking damage to your ( unspecified ) boiler model.

My view is that it has been wrongly fitted and they should sort it out.

As for "not allowed" to fit "some wire" that sounds nonsense! It needs to be fitted correctly !

Tony

Thanks Tony for your quick reply. Scottish Power are tell me that they do not have any spark's on there payroll so I asked what would they do if I had a new boiler fitted. We would get an outside contractor to do the job.
Thanks anyways.
Paul

There are some strange things about your original post.

1. First of all and number one. No programmer has the facility to control the pump overrun. So you cannot blame the LP722 device for this problem. Not all boilers require a pump overrun, so, when one is required, the pump and the overrun cycle are controlled by the boiler. The pump is connected to wiring terminals provided by the boiler manufacturer and so has no connection to the programmer.

2. Drayton programmers have the same wiring connections, they are only on & off switches for the heating and hot water functions and simply plug into the backplate without any changes to the wiring being required. So the wiring shouldn't have been touched.

3. As you have an 'S Plan' system, when the two motorised valves close because the heating and hot water are both satisfied, there needs to be another open circuit during overrun to allow the water to circulate around. This is known as a 'by-pass'.

The boiler by-pass is there to dissipate residual heat from the boiler when it goes off. If there is no flow of water around a by-pass and water stops circulating it will overheat and cause the sounds you describe, but it would normally also activate the overheat thermostat, which on the Baxi's I have seen, has to be reset manually. You don't mention this happening.

There are two types of by-pass, 'manual' which is basically a manually operated gate valve that is only partially open to maintain the minimal flow required by the boiler during overrun, and the 'automatic' type which when correctly calibrated adjust the flow rate automatically as and when required.

So, if it worked OK before the LP722 was installed, and the fault appeared at the same time, then something else was also changed. For example was a single 3 Port motorised valve replaced with the two 2 Port valves? Has the by-pass valve setting been tampered with? Was the wiring at the boiler changed?

So here is what I would do.

1. Check to see if the pump is still powered or not during the overrun cycle. [I assume here that the pump is working OK when the heating or hot water is operating]

2. If the pump wiring is correct, but the pump isn't overrunning, check there a permanent live supply to the boiler? If it has worked previously there will have been one at sometime. Has it been tampered with?

3. If the boiler wiring is correct and the pump doesn't overrun, then the boiler PCB is the most likely cause of the problem. It's quite easy for someone competent to check with a multimeter to see whether the boiler is providing the pump overrun control power.

4. If the pump is running, and the water is not circulating, find the by-pass valve and check that it has not been inadvertently closed down too much. In my mind this would probably be the most likely scenario, in that there is sufficient flow to prevent the overheat tripping, but not enough to stop the boiler noises.

Telling us the boiler model would have enabled Stem to refine his reply to fit your case.

Amused to hear Scottish Power, an electricity supply company, does not have any electricians!

Most heating engineers need to be competent to wire up boilers and heating systems! Its a normal part of their work.

Tony

It would be worth checking that the LP722 has been set for pumped, not gravity operation.

Turn off power
Remove LP722 from back plate (Undo 2 screws underneath, hinge upwards and remove.)
On back is a switch/jumper. It should be set to P.
Change - if necessary
Replace LP722
Turn on power
Check system (if necessary)

It would be worth checking that the LP722 has been set for pumped, not gravity operation.

That wouldn't have any effect on the pump overrun. Programmers do not have any influence on that function. If it were set to gravity, all that would happen is that when the heating was switched on, the hot water would come on also.

Last edited:
Which programmer did you have before the LP722? We all assume it was another LP722, but you don't actually say that.

Sorry Guy's
The programmer was a LP722 but without the battery backup and no lighting of the clock. The engineer when asked why the boiler was making so much noise as it shut down ( heating only ) stated that it needed a bridging wire installing and that he was not qualified to do that, the job required a sparky, and we would have to get one ourselves. It was not stated at any time when we entered the boiler care contract that they (the engineers )are not able to touch the electrical side of things. I think that is the reason the guy did not fit the new back plate as well as the new programmer but just removed the old frontal and fitted the new frontal.

Paul

Sounds complete gibberish to me!

He is swapping two identical units from a wiring point of view. They have exactly the same wiring connections which carry out exactly the same switching functions. There is no need for an additional "bridging link" whatever that means.

Since I had the LP722 fitted (new model) the over run on the boiler does not work on the heating side and the boiler bangs and rattles when the heating has reached temp

If you are absolutely sure that it wasn't doing this before the LP722's were exchanged, then something else has been changed, or coincidentally failed at the same time.

Nice Citroen DS BTW is that the version with the swivelling headlights?

D Hailsham asked:
Which programmer did you have before the LP722? We all assume it was another LP722, but you don't actually say that.

Renegade replied:
Sorry Guy's
The programmer was a LP722 but without the battery backup and no lighting of the clock.

So I took that to mean it was an LP722 older version with less facilities. But even if it wasn't, the original or replacement programmer would have anything to do with controlling the boiler overrun. However, as you say:

something doesn't sound right here, renegade your not telling the whole story ;) you need to elaborate

I have a similar feeling but I can't put my finger on why.... things just don't seem to add up. I suppose it's possible that the boiler PCB overrun has given up the ghost, bit coincidental for it to happen at the same time though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back