Drayton Wiser oil heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering adding the Drayton wiser system to replace the typical programmer with manual thermostat \ trv set up but someone mentioned on a different post that oil boilers tend to pull more current than gas boilers and cited this as a reason for premature failure of a programmer.

The switching capacity of the hub is 2 amps. The fuse protecting boiler, valves and pump is 5 amps.

My question is what does the hub or programmer actually switch? Is it just power to a valve which in turn switches the rest of does it see the full load current of the system.

It's a boulter camray 5 with Ch pump and 2 motorised valves. I asked Drayton and they said it was fine with oil fired systems but switching capacity was 2 amps.

Sponsored Links
On most, the programmer or thermostat switches power to the valve motor, and when open a switch in the valve signals the boiler to operate, or on some boilers switches the actual power for the boiler, pump, etc.

However the 5A fuse means nothing - what matters is the actual current for the boiler and other devices. It won't be anywhere near 5A.

The drayton will be fine with your system it is only powering the motors on the valves the rest is controlled by the end switches on the valves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back