Drayton Wiser operating questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of getting a 2 channel Wiser for my WB Greenstar gas boiler but before I commit I have a few questions that hopefully some one on the forum knows the answers. I have searched the web but can’t get the answers.

1. How many on/off periods can be configured?
2. Will the system work with the internet down?
3. Will the system work with the home Wi-Fi down?
4. Can the heating and hot water be overridden using the buttons on the hub?
5. If the system temp is overridden using the room stat or a TRV does the overide reset at the next scheduled on time?

Many thanks for any responses.

Sponsored Links
1. You can have 4 on/off cycles per day with potentially different values across the week, but that is not the approach to use. The Wiser system allows 8 changes per day, instead you should vary the temperature. for example 7am 21c, 9am 18c, 4pm 20c and 10pm 18c. That only uses 4 of the available daily slots. On/off periods go with old style dumb thermostats. In essence it's always in an "on cycle" but the set temperature value determines when the boiler fires up. On/Off is perhaps more applicable to the hot water part when you may desire morning & evening cycles.
Note each TRV or roomstat can have it's own individual schedule. So you could have a bedroom schedule for early morning & evening in conjunction to a separate lounge schedule.

2 yes, the internet is required to initially configure the system, receive firmware updates and of course permit remote access when out of the house but not required for the system to run.

3 yes. The Wiser Hub communicates to any TRV or roomstat via zigbee which does not depend on your home wifi. Schedules run independent of wifi being available. However wifi is required to modify the schedules

4 yes, you can manually boost by pressing the buttons on hub

5 yes

Last edited:
Thank you. I am aware of the temp schedule rather than on/off, my bad for the poor wording. Shame only 6 transitions are available, I think tado can be configured to change every 30mins, overkill I know but 6 may be a couple short for what i wanted.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am aware of the temp schedule rather than on/off, my bad for the poor wording. Shame only 6 transitions are available, I think tado can be configured to change every 30mins, overkill I know but 6 may be a couple short for what i wanted.
I did initially say 6 per day but that was incorrect. It's 8 per day. You would need a fairly complicated schedule to require more than 8 but everyone has different needs.

Sponsored Links
This may be a recent change to the app. New version 6.1 was released a few days ago.
I can set 8 on times/temps.
Excellent news. Does the Wiser use TPI to reduce temperature overrun or is it just a simple on/off stat?

Decided to give the Wiser a try to see what it can do, I bought the version with just 2 TRV's and if I'm happy with the system I will buy some more when they are next on offer.

Good. Whilst waiting for the Wiser to arrive you should verify your existing wiring at the programmer and room stat. Best to take some photos as this ensures you know what went where beforehand. Then check prior threads for "how do I wire my programmer", there are plently to review. If you have a standard backplate you may not even need to make any wiring changes at all.

As a hint when you fit the Wiser initially, leave your existing roomstat in place but turn the temp up to say 25C. This reduces the things being changed at the start. Once the system is operational you can then decide any steps to take the old thermostat out of the loop.

Last edited:
Fortunately I already have a Drayton programmer so the Wiser hub should be a straight swap.

I have now installed my 2 channel Wiser system with just the room thermostat for now. Very easy installation but due to a glitch with the app I needed to contact Drayton tech support which used up about 15 mins of the 45 minute install time.
I also had a question that I dont think the tech support person really answered fully. During the hub setup I was asked if I wanted to use Opentherm, relay or on/off load compensation, I selected relay but I am now wondering what the on/off load compensation setting meant. I am expecting the relay setting to use algorithms (TPI?) to control the room temperature, and this was confirmed to be the case by Drayton tech support, but what does on/off load compensation do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back