Drayton Wiser + Worcester Ri 24 issue with heating but i can get hot water on.

I think it could be your joining of the red and yellow wires from the old thermostat. Do you have a photo of how that thermostat was wired up?
yes i do have it.

Sponsored Links
You could test for voltages.
haha, I don't have a multimeter! But will consider getting it!

ideally, this should be tested at the boiler black wire? what voltage is expected??

ideally, this should be tested at the boiler black wire? what voltage is expected??
less than 10£ should be able to afford it.

Reactions: CBW

It’s all mains switching, so should be 230/240 Vac. Looking back at your previous wiring, it does appear correct, so it’s either the Drayton or a dodgy connection/wire.

Sponsored Links
the task for tomorrow is to rewire it to the old thermostat and control unit.

• Thanks
OK, i see the orange wire coming from the port valve. It is joined with a couple of brown wires and blu wire. Blue and orange go to pump and the last brown goes back to Drayton wiser box.
First of all completely forget the colours of the wires they mean nothing whatsoever, only the colours of the wires from the mid position valve (what you wrongly keep calling the port valve) Can be relied upon. The orange wire should only go to the boiler switched live and depending on the boiler also the pump , nothing else and should never connect to the wiser

• Thanks
First of all completely forget the colours of the wires they mean nothing whatsoever, only the colours of the wires from the mid position valve (what you wrongly keep calling the port valve) Can be relied upon. The orange wire should only go to the boiler switched live and depending on the boiler also the pump , nothing else and should never connect to the wiser

Yes, this is the case, the mid position valve :) orange cable is connected to Demand input (LR)/ switched live cable.

Got the old control box and ald thermostat wired back on today. Exactly the same results. I can put hot water on but can't put CH on.

I guess it is time for a multimeter!

Another thought, I'm aware of the requirement to have the pump on for a while after the CH or H is switched off. Just to cool the bits in the boiler. Could it be because I don't have it yet?

i've got the m
It’s all mains switching, so should be 230/240 Vac. Looking back at your previous wiring, it does appear correct, so it’s either the Drayton or a dodgy connection/wire.
well it is not drayton as got the old thermostat and controller wired on and same results, hot water works but no CH

where do i start with a multimeter? Help, please.

At the Drayton side, the black wire (1 HW off) is connected to a grey wire that goes to mid position valve and thermostat black wire.

the Grey wire (3 CH on) is connected to the hot water tank thermostat brown wire.

Brown wire (4 on) is connected to mid position white wire.

1662554600121.jpg

i've got the m

well it is not drayton as got the old thermostat and controller wired on and same results, hot water works but no CH

where do i start with a multimeter? Help, please.
Using Volts AC on the multimeter, check the following:

Attachments

• 89EF4F7A-F840-4E5E-AA9A-D1AB4A874566.jpeg
    89EF4F7A-F840-4E5E-AA9A-D1AB4A874566.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 40
Right, so got this sorted now. CH and W work fine now.

Today, when I measured the voltage on mid position valve wires. I noticed that it was not seated properly/fully on the actual valve itself. So I got it on properly and CH is working!!!!!!

Thanks for your help and sorry to waste your time!!

Now my next job is to install one of below.

Last edited:
  • Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back