dreadful smell!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we've been having building work done and about three weeks into the build we started to get a strange smell whech was eventually established to be drains. Its steadily got worse over the last two months and is not a serious problem. We have checked the last manhole on our property and found it clear although there is about an inch of waste lying in the visible section of the pipe. Flushing the various toilets shows an immediate flow in the manhole so there would appear to be no blockage...but the smell of sewage gets worse by the day. Can anyone suggest what is happening here and what needs to be done? I guess that it has to have something to do with the building works ads it started at the same time.

Sponsored Links
You will smell it if there is no trap full of water to keep the smells back. :(

Thanks BAHCO...yes, I've been told about this trap. I can't work out how this trap is filling with water as it is not blocked (we have flushed it) and the culvert would seem to be in good and undamaaged condition.

It well may be an issue that the builder has to sort out.

Sponsored Links
Sewers do smell! You can't blame the builder for that!
So where is the smell coming from? If your manhole cover doesn't fit properly of course it'll let gas out. If it fits reasonably, seal it with grease.

If the smell is coming from somewhere else you'll have to tell us...
Obviously we don't have a clue what building work you have had done...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back