Dried-up shoe polish

Stoddard solvent is USA white spirit ;) Want some dubbin for my boots can you still get it :?:

Sponsored Links
People don't take pride in their shoes anymore, no wonder the unemployment list is a long as it is. :p :p

Sponsored Links
And slave labour ones in sweatshops make the trainers :idea: :evil:

Shoe polish is made with paraffin or kerosene, white spirit will do or even barbecue lighting fluid if you fancy deodorised kerosene. This stuff is also good if you do a bit of fire breathing.

If you wear waxy leather shoes or walking boots, Nikwax and Waxoyle for cars are the same thing, useful if you own a Land Rover and are continually trying to stop it rusting away.....

Probably beceause you can buy a pair of shoes cheaper than a tin of polish and 2 brushes :LOL:

White spirits works to soften it, shouldn't want much though

I like a decent pair of proper leather, stiched pair of boots or shoes, used to wear Doc Royals, the shoe version of Doc Martens, tough as old boots, and repairable. With added seggs, for heel protection.

Trainers are for going running in.

I remember one time, staying in a hotel, and coming out in the morning, bleary eyed, spotted the auto shoe buffer in the hall, so quickly buffed my shoes, then realised my shoes were tan, but the machine made them black..oops! Took me ages to restore back to tan colour. :oops:

But I'm currently looking for a new decent pair of boots, my current boots are down at heel, and my outriggers are slightly oversize, shoes are not to my liking, and trainers reserved for running/trekking.

as i said you do not need to add anything

Is anybody listening to you ?????????? its exactly what i do put it on the smallest hob burner with the lid off put it on simmer within a few seconds turn it off let it cool as good as new never ever added anything to it ...........................but as i said I dont think anyones paying you any attention........ I did :LOL:

But I'm currently looking for a new decent pair of boots, my current boots are down at heel, and my outriggers are slightly oversize, shoes are not to my liking, and trainers reserved for running/trekking.

An excellent place to buy boots is a Boot Sale. I am always seeing brand new pairs for sale at very low prices. Good branded ones too.

An excellent place to buy boots is a Boot Sale. I am always seeing brand new pairs for sale at very low prices. Good branded ones too.

I tried to buy boots at a Car Boot sale, but they only sold knock off car boot (lids)..grr! The joke worked in my head, but not so good written down..

Carboot, and Labourclub auctions seem to have disappeared in my area, possibly due to the amount of illegal items being sold? And most of what was available, was either tat, didn't work, or obviously previously stolen.

I remembered this thread because I had a half-used tin of Kiwi Shoe Polish, two half used tins of Kiwi Parade Gloss Premium, two half used tins of Kiwi Parade Gloss Prestige, a half-used tin of Kiwi Select smooth leather renovating polish and a quarter used tin of Kiwi Wet Pruf Sport which had all gone clumpy and I needed to rework them. It is quite annoying dropping a clump on the carpet.

The Kiwi Sport Wet Pruf actually had white surface biological growth.

I usually rework the polish on the hob but my hob is a sealed ring one with quite high latency i.e. when I turn the ring off it still emits heat for along time.
Today I tried the oven. I opened all the tins, placed them on foil on a baking tray with the lids beside the corrsponding tin and put the tray in the preheated fan oven at 100 deg C.
I waited until I could just smell the solvent, removed the baking tray immediately. My kitchen timer is broken so I don't know how long I had the tins in the oven so that I could repeat the procedure stopping short of the smoke point accurately.

There was very minimal spill over and all the tins of polish have all came out workable with brush and cloth and are very near to their original consistency. I didn't add any solvent though none of the polishes were truly dried out.

The Premium Parade Gloss was I think rebranded to Prestige Parade Gloss. Same product I think, just that the premium is older.

I get a better longer-lasting shine with the regular but it takes longer and I don't have that much time to commit to polishing shoes and garden boots which get muddy. On my good shoes (Church's) I would only use regular Kiwi.

All this for a product that cost less than a quid. Unbelievable!! :rolleyes: :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back