Drill bits - need a guide

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain to me the different types of drill bits there are...

Diamond drill tip bits - I like these - they go through everything.
Many a time I got stuck with old drill bits that just wouldn't drill through a brick wall.

But then there's titanium coated drill bits - super cheap.
Are these better or worse than diamond drill bits?

Hex drill bit: why aren't ALL drill bits like this?
Pros and cons?

Counter sunk...?
Love it - why aren't ALL drill bits like this?
I mean, in most cases, it's preferable NOT to have some of the screw sticking out?

What's a tap drill bit?

Drill depth collars?
Any good?

I want to drill wood.
I should get wood drill bits?
The pound shop sells super cheap ones - any reason why I shouldnt buy?

ANYTHING else?
Any other drill bits?

Any pointers would be great!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Diamond bits are usually only used on porcelain tiles. SDS drill bits will drill through any masonry material ( brick, stone, concrete) but you do need a sds drill.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies guys.

>> try new drill bits?
i think they were just cheap ones - most likely the problem.

[QUOT
But then there's titanium coated drill bits - super cheap.
Are these better or worse than diamond drill bits?

They are not comparable with diamond bits. They are better (read: harder) than standard HSS (black, cheap) drill bits. Diamond bits are used to drill tiles and glass. Titanium are typically used for softer materials such as metal/wood

E="OM2, post: 4038912, member: 46632"]Hex drill bit: why aren't ALL drill bits like this?
Pros and cons?[/QUOTE]

They cost more, and if you are using them in a bog standard magnetic holder they often get left in the wood that you just drilled.

Counter sunk...?

Do you mean a counter sink or a drill bit with a counter sink built in to it?

Drill depth collars?

Without wanting to sound condescending, I suspect that you need a primer in drilling and screwing.

For the sake of clarity, let's assume that you want to screw two bits of timber together and that you are using 5mm diameter screws. Drill a 5 or 5.5mm clearance hole in the upper/outermost piece. This allows the screw to pass through the wood, then drill a 3.0 mm (pilot hole) through that hole into the other bit of timber. That allows the screw to enter without splitting the timber. You can then use a counter sink to enable the head to end up flush.

If you were to only use a 3mm bit, as the screw passes through the first piece of wood and into the second it will try pushing the second further away. You may end up with a gap between both bits of wood. Some screws have a split point and ribs on the head to mitigate the problem.

Timber however is far more forgiving than particle boards such as MDF.

Whenever drilling hard bricks- use an SDS drill (as mentioned earlier). In my youth I made standard 7mm masonry bits glow red trying to drill into engineering bricks. Half an hour later I hadn't got anywhere. The hole with an SDS takes 2 minutes, and no sweating (BTW you need an SDS drill though).

Lip and spur drill bits from the pound shop? Probably crap but designed for wood only. Lip and spur cut cleaner holes in timber but are ruined if you drill through and hit something harder. If you want reasonably priced drill bits for timber, soft metals or plastics, consider either titanium or HSS jobbers. You can buy a box of them for £10-15.

Save yourself money by not buying screws and drill bits from the DIY sheds (Homebase, Wickes, B&Q etc), they are expensive. The web or the likes of screwfix or toolstation represent real value for money.

++++++++++++

Sorry, just got to the pub, if anything I said didn't make sense then please ask for clarification.

Talking about drill bits.......English made twist drill the black ones ....I don't know if you can get them anymore.......Branded english ones was/are superb quality.

Got loads of packets of them from an old shed, the chap used to be an engineer.

Go through steel like it's butter ...........

Thanks for replies @opps and @gasbanni

>> primer
yes. learning fast from replies here
thanks for the awesome reply :)

>> sds drill
to be honest, i only ever need for drilling and hanging something up :)

but woodwork... i want to get into that - just as a hobby

Trouble is so much stuff is from the far east somes good some bad ........but the old school British engineered products were good. Got lomts of un opened packets of English manufactured drill bits ......I'm lamenting quality that seems to be lacking now. Might say bosch on the packet or deWalt but made in china is on there as well ...

Dormer, skf and hosts of other Sheffield manufacturers they're that rare now I honestly feel like framing the rust stained packets !!!
That's another thing the rust seems to just wipe off.

Sponsored Links
Back