Drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the best brand of drill bits, i.e. reusable many times for both masonry and metal?

If they are ridiculously expensive how about the best compromise between quality and pricing? A brand that perhaps performs as good as a top end product but is sold at a mid level price point?

Sponsored Links
hi, at work we get titan from screwfix, they are quite cheap, yet brilliant quality, can be sharpened and abused, ive never snapped one yet, and have acctually tried a few times, they are multi purpose so will do wood, metal or plastics

but cant help you with masonary bits, im a joiner so dont need them, i dont buy propper ones, just get cheapys for diy, hope this helps

tom

When it comes to drill bits for metal, there are none better than Dormer,
not sure about masonary drills, possibly Mason master? Brazed carbide tips.

Wotan

Hawera make a range of multi construction drills (they have blue flutes) these will go from metal, wood and plastic through to concrete and can be used on hammer. They have diamond sharpened carbide tips and can do ceramic tiles.

Sponsored Links
Dormer won't do masonry and although they have a great reputation, they are not the same as the drills that were made 10'ish years ago as they, like most makes are made abroad. They used to be made in Sheffield but are only ground or polished or packed here now if I remember correctly.
Hawera manufacture sds and masonry drills for their owners, Bosch, and other people
There aren't many multi purpose type drills that work well, I've used these on concrete panels and they cut through well even without hammer action.
You could get better individual drills for single purpose but if you are for example battening a concrete floor, you can go straight through wood and into the concrete cleanly.

ok so hawera/bosch for masonry? Is it a certain range? As I noticed some of their budget drill bit packs have a poor reputation as I'm sure is the same for most budget bits. Which ranges of Bosch drill bits are good quality?

Hawera colt are diy versions, Perfect Power are professional straight shank masonry for hammer use and Multi construction are multi purpose masonry/tile and metal drills.
Their SDS versions are S4 or S5 and are professional use under the Hawera or Bosch brand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back