drillable hole filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been decorating my 100 year old house. And putting a new hand rail up the stair case on the firewall between us and the neighbouring property.

Although being nearly there with the decorating i wanted to drill roles and get the rawl plugs in for the hand rail before totally finishing the decorating

Im glad i did that because the first two brackets (three holes in each bracket) went in well with good purchase the 3rd hole i drilled all the plaster (including tiny shingle and horse hair) just crumbled and fell out.

I know have a round hole about 3 inches (same width as the bracket) wide by 1 inch deep going back to the brick. I need to fill it with something that i can refix the hand rail bracket into. I have scrapped the very loose stuff out however it is still slightly crumbly (i could keep scrapping for ever). There is a gap between two brick which i can push filler into for some extra purchase.

Any help welcomed. Cheers

Sponsored Links
your picture is not much good.

When you slip on the stairs and grab hold of the handrail to save yourself, it will be no use having a handrail that is fixed into a blob of filler. It must be screwed securely to the bricks.

If it shows the edges of two bricks plus the mortar joint between them, reposition the bracket so that it will be in the centre of a brick. Holes in the edges will probably cause the brick to crack or break. The mortar is probably lime and quite soft and weak.

Your holes appear to have negligible depth in the brick.

Using a masonry bit and a hammer drill, make holes which penetrate the brick by at least 35mm. Disregard the depth of the plaster which adds no strength. Tap brown plasplugs into the hole so they are inserted into the brick by at least 35mm. Buy some new screws which are long enough to penetrate at least 35mm into the brick and the plasplugs (it helps to drill the hole slightly deeper so that any excess length of screw has somewhere to go).

Patch up the plaster. When doing that, have the screws lightly turned into the plugs so that the plaster does not hide the holes.

If you clumsily drill holes that are too loose, clean out all the dust from the hole and squirt "no more nails" or equivalent into it, with the nozzle fully inserted so there is no air bubble at the back, then push the plasplugs into it and leave overnight to set.

Sponsored Links
Fill hole, any filler will do, re-drill at least 60-70 mm deep , plug and fix.
If walls are poor then use a 4-5mm bit first and enlarge to 6-7mm for your plugs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back