Drilled through socket power cable!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help.
Whilst drilling through my skirting boards i have hit a cable that supplies a double socket it made a big bang and tripped the breaker.
:oops:
Somehow the socket still works but i need to know a good way of repairing the cable, i have seen crimp splices that fit 1.5 to 10mm cable would i be ok using some of these?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you will get different opinions depending on who you ask. Mine would be to replace the cable. But alternatives would be to remove the damaged cable and move the socket.

If you want to crimp, you will need blue through crimps for 2.5mm. Take care not to nick the core when stripping. Use the correct ratchet crimping tool, NOT the cheapo ones used for car electrics. The crimp will not be waterproof, and may be a problem when plastering, ao should be covered in heatshrink cable.

Many electricians would have no problem in suggesting this method.

Hope someone can help.
Whilst drilling through my skirting boards i have hit a cable that supplies a double socket it made a big bang and tripped the breaker.
:oops:
Was the cable not directly under the socket?????

Somehow the socket still works
That's because it's a ring circuit, and you've only knackered one of the cables.

But you have therefore turned your ring into two radials, each of which is not safely protected by the breaker, so you need to fix it asap, and if you have any large loads on the circuit, don't use them all at once - keep below about 5kW at any one time.

Why on earth would you even contemplate turning the circuit back on when you KNOW you have damaged the cable? That was very foolish.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
But you have therefore turned your ring into two radials
That's one possibility; another is that he has one radial circuit and one lecky-powered roman candle.

Thanks for all your replys, this problem has now been sorted by a part P qualified sparky.
I agree with the comment about it been foolish to flick the breaker back on, i am not a part p electrician but only when the skirting board was taken away the damage was uncovered.
I am in the process of building a so far sucessfull property business that needs a qualified sparky in the leeds area to do quotes for me. I have contacts with a few letting agents which provide quite a few jobs. I am very busy at the moment and am currently looking for a quote on an extractor fan installing from scratch in the headingley area.
Please get back to me if you are willing to quote for me......

Ps.. you must be in a position to certify your work.

Thanks

You might get better results if you put your E-mail address in your profile ;)

Where are you based?

(I don't do domestic work, but know a couple of lads who do)

That's one possibility; another is that he has one radial circuit and one lecky-powered roman candle.

:!:

Seen this!!

A cable damaged and almost eaten through by a short. Fizzing and glowing like a sparkler!

Sure i have sorted the email address, please let me know if i am doing something wrong??? New to this forum stuff....

Thanks

:LOL:

Sure i have sorted the email address, please let me know if i am doing something wrong??? New to this forum stuff....

Thanks

:LOL:
The E mail address is there ok
Securespark picture does not seem to be

Softus??

What do you pay for quotes???

Like i have already stated i am looking for someone to work with me to do the electrical work, plenty of it. Just that i have to provide a quote to the letting agents before i can get a go ahead for the work. So i would expect quotes to be free especially with the amount of work that could arise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back