Drilling 2 holes for bath handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I wanted just one bath handle fitted to a steel bath, I'll have the option of buying a steel bath with two pre-drilled holes on each side of the bath and inserting two unsightly plastic stoppers into the side where I do not want a handle.

Alternatively I can purchase a steel bath with no holes and drill two holes on one side.

Would you have any advice on how to drill two holes like this without destroying the bath? Or general opinions on how feasible this is?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'd advise not buying a steel bath for starters. But beyond that why one handle won't it look odd?

Shouldn't be to difficult to drill descent HSS drill bits start small and work up to the size u need. Probably 8-10mm

I'd advise not buying a steel bath for starters. But beyond that why one handle won't it look odd?

Shouldn't be to difficult to drill descent HSS drill bits start small and work up to the size u need. Probably 8-10mm
It's a reclaimed handle from a 1930s bath. The original 1930s bath was designed to only have one handle fitted.

What's wrong with a steel bath?

Sponsored Links
I think you'd need to take great care when piercing the bath enamel, before drilling the steel underneath.
I've never done this but I'd be inclined to go through the glaze with a masonry or tile drill first ( no hammer action) just to prevent the enamel crazing. Similar to tile drilling, maybe.
John :)

there is one advantage to steel which is a very good conductor and will aid heat retention of the water,
If it conducts heat then it will conduct heat from the water in the bath, through the steel, to the air around the under side of the bath where the heat will be taken away by convection in the air. Steel baths without insulation on the outside of the steel will cool down faster that an acrylic bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back