Drilling accurately up into masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got to put some blinds up. I guess mark the spot then go into the lintel with the SDS drill. To get my drilling spot on should I mark with an awl tool before going in with masonry bit? Will a small metal drill bit do?

For red plugs do I use 5.5 mm or 6 mm drill bit? Different people tell me different answers

Sponsored Links
Having found plugs to be varying sizes - and the fact that an SDS drill can widen the hole - start with 5.5, and then go to 6 if necessary. Start the drill without the hammer function, or a gentle hammer before applying full power.

Colour of plug gives no information about it's diameter, have red plugs in three different sizes.

Sponsored Links
Use a smaller masonry bit first to go through the plaster then , if it's a concrete lintel get out the SDS drill and a 5.5mm bit and drill to the length of the screws and put in a red plug.
If you have a catnic lintel up there , then use a good battery drill and a 3mm titanium bit a no8 screw.

Mike

Colour of plug gives no information about it's diameter, have red plugs in three different sizes.
Bought from a trade only supplier such as Hertings or a reputable manufacturer such as Rawl red plugs are always intended for 5.5mm holes and brown plugs for 7mm ones. It's that simple.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back