Drilling into masonry accurately

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I thought I'd ask here first before cracking on with my drill...

Basically I'm about to hang up a pull up bar in my garage.

jDk9MHK.jpg

This is the wall with the points marked out to drill into.

j0SNE5x.jpg

But as you can see, the block work seems to not be particularly dense

HmWgtgE.jpg

These are the supplied plugs

TAdjqID.jpg

Few questions:

1. Are those rawl plugs okay for a pull up bar? They were supplied with it but I never know!
2. How the hell do I drill accurately into this kinda wall? I tried drilling some pilot holes at 4mm (the final hole should be 12mm) but the drill wanders around until it finds somewhere it fancies drilling! That's great for the drill, but for me, the holes won't be in the right position if I do this.
3. My handheld hammer drill barely budges through the block! I guess I need something like a mains powered machine?

Thanks all :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Regarding the accuracy point, drill one hole and plug it, fix the bar and then level it into position for the next screw.....and then fix that. This will allow you to use the bar to position the rest of the holes.
If you try to drill all of the holes at once, it'll end in tears!
If you need to, hire an SDS drill.
As for the strength of the fixings, well that's a bit of an unknown quantity and maybe resin fixings could be better. I'd see what strength I was getting with the standard plugs first.
John :)

Thanks John! :)

When I've got say 2 up, I guess I can drill through the other 6 holes while it's temporarily hanging to get a good pilot, take it off, then finish them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back